[oXygen-user] Abstract elements and substitution groups

Jesse Pelton
Tue Jan 18 12:55:26 CST 2011

Years ago, I set up a collection of schemas that use abstract elements
and substitution groups to allow different models for certain elements.
I just noticed that instance documents that use these schemas have
always validated with the default processor (Xerces), and they appear to
validate with MSXML 4.0, they don't validate with Saxon-EE or MSXML.NET.
XML is a small part of what I do, so I'm not confident that my
interpretation of the spec is correct.  I've attached a test case that
replicates the behavior I'm seeing in a minimal package.  I'd appreciate
it if someone could look it over and tell me who's right.

I think the documents explain themselves, but I'm happy to provide more
information about anything that's not clear.