[oXygen-user] Docbook 5 Author mode: way to add indexterm elements?

Adrian Buza
Fri Jun 18 05:10:05 CDT 2010

Hello,

First, you don't have to go to Text mode just to input a few elements,
you can already do this in Author mode.
Press Enter(or Ctrl+Space) at the appropriate location in the editor and
a small window appears with the list of elements that can be inserted at
that location. You can filter the elements in this list by typing the
starting characters of the element you are looking for.
e.g. press Enter when the caret is inside a "para" element, then type
'ind' and the list is filtered and the only visible element in the list
remains "indexterm". Press Enter on that element and it will be inserted
in the editor and the caret will be positioned inside it. Press Enter
again and you can simply navigate with the arrow keys and choose "primary"

Second, the actions you see on the DocBook toolbar can be configured and
customized. So if you want you can create your own custom action that
introduces an "indexterm".
This isn't that difficult to do:

1. Go to Options -> Preferences -> Document Type Association, select the
DocBook 4/5, Edit it, you will be asked if you want to duplicate it, say
Yes.
2. In the Document type editing dialog go to the 'Author' tab from the
tab group located below, and from the list from the left click on Actions.
3. You should see a list of actions, add a new one(+ sign).
4. In the action editing dialog, specify an ID, and a name, a
description could also be useful.
5. Press the Choose button from the row with the label "invoke the
operation"
6. From the Operation list choose either
InsertOrReplaceFragmentOperation or SurroundWithFragmentOperation. The
main difference is that the former operation will replace the selection
while the latter will surround it with the fragment provided.
7. Edit(double-click) the fragment argument from the argument list and
type there the fragment you want to insert.
e.g:
<indexterm  xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook">
  <primary></primary>
  <secondary></secondary>
</indexterm>
Note: xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" is needed for DocBook 5
8. Back in the Document type editing dialog select Toolbar from the list
on the left in the same Author tab.
9. Select your action from the list of 'Available actions' on the left
and a destination in the 'Current actions' tree on the right(will be
added after it if it's an action) and press the 'Add as sibling' button
between the lists.
10. OK in all dialogs and you should already see the action you just
added on the toolbar when you open a Docbook document.

Let me know if you need further information.

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza
Oxygen XML Editor support