[oXygen-user] XML Author: Chokes on Big Images?

Robert Nagle
Fri Jul 16 13:33:13 CDT 2010

 Two days ago I asked a question about Oxygen's ability to process lots
   of images. Thanks for the reply by the way  with the tip about XEP.
   I have a related question which is annoying me, and I think it is an
   Oxygen-related question (and not an XEP question).

   In Docbook 5 I am using xincludes, and I am using 300 dpi images (with
   dimensions ranging from 1200 x 1500 more or less).  They are jpg file
   at 100% quality and range from 600K to 1 MB.  One of the files is
   2300x1500
   In my Docbook 5 project  I scale the image so that the size when
   printed is about 3 inches.

   But here's the thing. After I add as few as three images to a chapter
   (and sometimes less), XML Author pretty much grinds to a halt. The
   chapter is  an xinclude file.  (I'm in Windows Vista 64 bit and have 4
   gigs RAM, and RAM usage by Oxygen goes up to about 700,000 or 800,000
   MB RAM. I can continue editing, but very slowly. Once I switch back to
   XML mode, everything is fine.  I have gotten no validation errors or
   anything like that, and the xml file itself is not overly big (30 K).

   I've tried to open the same xml file on a different machine, a 64 bit
   Windows 7 with 4 Gigs RAM. I receive the same slowdown.

   Is this typical?  Do you have any suggestions about how to avoid
this slowdown? It's gotten so bad that I've had to comment out the
images until I have to produce the PDF (a real pain).

   At the moment each of my mediaobjects have 2 imageobjects. The 2nd is
   an empty folder for a web version of the same image. If worse comes to
   worse, I could delete this extra imageobject, but eventually I need to
   add it.

   <screenshot>
                   <mediaobject>
                       <imageobject role="html">
                           <imagedata fileref="web-images/"/>
                       </imageobject>
                       <imageobject role="fo">
                           <imagedata
   fileref="fo-images/history-byline.jpg" contentwidth="10cm"/>
                       </imageobject>
                       <textobject>
                           <phrase>.</phrase>
                       </textobject>
                       <caption>
                           <para>If your content is being versioned, you
   will see a History hyperlink
                               near the byline. </para>
                       </caption>
                   </mediaobject>