[oXygen-user] Oxygen - Cached/Paging XML with/without Backup/AutoSave

McDonald, Shaun
Wed Dec 22 10:24:02 CST 2010

Hello All,

Recently, an Oxygen Author user has been experiencing rather large chunks of XML data being removed from documents on save.

Aside from troubleshooting this particular issue, a larger issue arose given a particular scenario.

Let's say the following parameters are in place:

 1.  Half our users are on Win XP, the other Win 7,
 2.  Half us Author v11.2, the other v12,
 3.  Windows Paging file initial and max values vary.

SCENARIO

 1.  User checks out an XML file from a CMS repository (via an Oxygen Author plug-in) and edits the document, but
 2.  User gets interrupted with an unrelated task requiring one or more other apps.
    *   The app(s) use a large amount of memory and write to Windows temp,
 3.  Memory is overtaxed and the Paging File is written to.
 4.  User returns to Author to check in the XML.

Obviously, we have validation gates to reject ill-formed/invalid XML.  But, theoretically, we would like to know exactly what might be checked in given the scenario, and

1.       Memory and paging are maxed out already when a user makes an edit to some other document, and
1.       Oxygen Backup and Automatic Save Preferences are off,
2.       Backup Preferences are on,
3.       Automatic Save is on and set to a low value
4.       Both 2 and 3 are on.

Thanks,

Shaun