[oXygen-user] Sensible to Escape "&" In Pasted URLs?

Eliot Kimber
Thu May 21 10:44:36 CDT 2009

On 5/21/09 10:11 AM, "Sorin Ristache" <> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What makes the difference in the pasted text between an "&" included in
> a URL that should be escaped and an "&" that starts an entity reference
> and that should not be escaped? We do not have a clear answer yet but we
> will consider this for a future version.

My naïve answer would be that if the "&" introduces a syntactically-valid
entity reference or numeric character reference, it should be used as is,
but if not, it should be escaped. In particular, I don' think ";" could
occur unescaped in a valid URI so it should be reliable as an indicator of
an entity or numeric character reference.

My use case was copying URLs from a browser and pasting into the attribute
value field.

Cheers,

E.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:   <mailto:>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>