[oXygen-user] Both global- and project-level scenarii

George Cristian Bina
Tue May 5 09:39:08 CDT 2009

Hi Florent,

When you set the scenarios at project level all the current global
scenarios are copied in the project file. When you move back to global
scenarios the project scenarios are kept only until you save the project
file; when the project is saved the scenarios from the project file are
removed once the scenarios are set to global.

We do not show both global scenarios and project scenarios because the
initial copy of the global scenarios as project scenarios will cause
duplicates if we show both. What we plan to do in the future is to allow
a management of the scenarios, that is to allow to copy scenarios
between project and global scenarios.

There is also another level of specifying scenarios, the document type
(Options->Preferences -- Document Type Association). For a document type
you can specify default scenarios that will appear if the document type
matches the current file. These are orthogonal with the global/project
level scenarios and will appear as read only (locked) when you configure
the transformation. For your specific use case with XSLStyle however
this approach has a problem because on an XSLT stylesheet oXygen will
show the XSLT type scenarios while the document type defines XML type
scenarios. That is another thing to improve in a future version, to
unify the scenarios and expose the scenario type in the scenario dialog
(that will allow also to use an XQuery scenario while the current file
is an XML document for example - right now an XQuery scenario can be
triggered only when the current file is an XQuery file).

I hope you were able to follow me as the whole explanation got a little
complicated.
What you can do now is to make sure you have the scenarios defined
globally before you switch to project level scenarios to take advantage
of the fact that the global scenarios are copied in the project when you
compute to project level.
If you have scenarios for non XSLT files (XML, schemas, etc.) then you
can define them in a framework (document type) that matches those
documents and they will be available irrespective of how the other
scenarios are stored, globally or at project level.

For the future I also recorded as an enhancement an improvement on the
Transformation Scenarios view (Perspective -> Show View ->
Transformation Scenarios) to display all the scenarios (project, global,
from document types) and to allow managing them (copy/move them around).