[oXygen-user] xml:id + docbook5 validation problems

Robert Nagle
Mon Jun 29 12:26:01 CDT 2009

Jirka,

This is amazingly useful and nonobvious information.  I never would
have thought of this mistake.

Thank you.

I looked at the spec for xml:id  and I cannot seem to find a reference
to this requirement. Perhaps I am not understanding a concept or
terminology used on the spec page.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/

For future reference, how would I know about a requirement on an
attribute value like this one?

Robert Ngle

2009/6/28 Jirka Kosek <>:
> Robert Nagle wrote:
>
>> SystemID: I:\My Documents\xml\rj3\er1.xml
>> Engine name: oNVDL
>> Severity: error
>> "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
>> Start location: 2:80
>>
>> *******************************
>> here is what I have in the er1.xml file:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <chapter  xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"   version="5.0" xml:id="99er1">
>
> IDs must start with letter (or underscore and few other characters) but
> not with number. This is cause of your error.
>

> --
>  Jirka Kosek      e-mail:       http://xmlguru.cz
>       Professional XML consulting and training services
>  DocBook customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
>  OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO JTC1/SC34 member

Robert Nagle
12777 Ashford Point Dr #1417
Houston, Texas 77082
713 893 3424