[oXygen-user] parameters, catalogs, docbook, etc

Sorin Ristache
Tue Jun 16 08:18:43 CDT 2009

Hello,

Robert Nagle wrote:
> So here is my understanding based on what you said:  When the files
> are in a project, the xpr project file is an xml file containing the
> customizations specific to your project. That includes names of files,
> and the specifics of any customized transformation which you have
> added for the specific project. So you could find your customizations
> here.

The transformed files don't have to be in the project. The scenarios are
saved in the .xpr project file when you select the radio button Project
Scenarios in the dialog Configure Transformation Scenario:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-oxygen/transformation-scenarios-sharing.html

> so docbook5.framework stores all the scenarios which will show up for
> the docbook5 global scenarios list?

docbook5.framework stores only the scenarios displayed on the
Transformation tab of the Document Type dialog when the DocBook 5
document type is edited:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-oxygen/dg-complex-customization-tutorial.html#d4e12580

These scenarios have a yellow key icon when they are displayed in the
dialog Configure Transformation Scenario together with the global
scenarios as you can see in the screenshot in the above section of the
User Manual.

> My main concerns here are
> 1)being able to find the xslt customizations after I make them (in the
> event that i need to run them via command line or use  another
> application),

Reusing a scenario in other application or from a command line is not
possible with the current method of scenario persistence applied in
Oxygen. It is a request for a future version.

> 2)being able to use the same  xslt customizations for a second project
> if I create another docbook project and

If the scenario with your customizations is saved at document type level
just make sure the document type is enabled in the table available from
Preferences -> Document Type Association. It does not matter what
project you load in the Project view.

If it is saved at project level make sure you have the scenario saved at
global level and transfer it to project level for each DocBook project
that you create by switching from Global Scenarios to Project Scenarios
in the dialog Configure Transformation Scenario.

> 3))not accidentally deleting or altering the default transforms.

The scenarios of a document type can be edited only by the Developer
role set in Preferences -> Document Type Association. The scenarios of a
project are deleted when the scenario is modified and the project file
saved. In both cases you can store the scenario on a version control
system (CVS, SVN, etc) by saving the .framework file or the .xpr project
file in the version control system.

> I guess the general  solution is to use projects as much as possible.
>
> I'm looking here http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-oxygen/preferences-sharing.html
>
> I'm not quite sure what you are doing when you go to Configure
> Transformation Scenario and switch from GLOBAL SCENARIOS to PROJECT
> SCENARIOS and vice versa. Regardless of whether I select GLOBAL or
> PROJECT, they both show the same scenarios (the read-only scenarios
> indicated by a key icon and a customized scenario I have created
> myself). Is this normal?
 >
 > (My guess: I originally created them with GLOBAL SCENARIOS checked,
 > and so that means they appear in the PROJECT SCENARIOS tab as well.
 > But the rev).

The switch from Global to Project duplicates all the current global
scenarios at project level and after that any scenario modification is
stored at project level. The reverse switch removes all the project
scenarios from the project file and reloads the old copy of the set of
global scenarios with the parameters that they had at that time. The
global scenarios are stored in the user preferences in a subfolder of
the user home folder so they are reloaded from there.

> If I try to delete a custom scenario from either Project Scenarios or
> Global Scenarios and press ok, I see that the scenario i have tried to
> delete has not been deleted. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

If you press OK in the dialog Configure Transformation Scenario the
scenario is deleted. It does not matter if it is at project level or
global level.

If you deleted a project level scenario and after that revert to Global
Scenarios the old set of scenarios is reloaded which includes a copy of
the deleted scenario. It is the global scenario that remains, the
project scenario was deleted.

> Reading through the archives, I see that you are trying to rework  the
> UI for the transformations dialog. That would probably be a good
> thing. The thing that confuses me is why the same scenarios appear
> when you have PROJECT SCENARIOS checked as when would have GLOBAL
> SCENARIOS.

The switch from Global Scenarios to Project Scenarios is made with the
purpose of sharing the current set of global scenarios through the
project file. If you want to share only a subset of the global scenarios
or customized versions of the global scenarios feel free to customize
the project scenarios after the switch.