[oXygen-user] Preprocessing Xquery

Paul Ryan
Fri Jan 16 15:55:54 CST 2009

Sorrin,

I understand the delima you present and we've put sufficient limitations on preprocessor to ensure proper context. In your first email you stated that I would override the validation scenario such as is done by exist. Is there a special API I should follow or just the standard xmldb-api from 2002 should do?

Thanks,

-- Paul Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From:  [mailto:] On Behalf Of Sorin Ristache
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:24 AM
Subject: Re: [oXygen-user] Preprocessing Xquery

Hello,

If you need to compose an XPath expression with the runtime value of a
parameter of the query then you need what is called a dynamic evaluation
of an XPath expression. The standard XQuery language does not provide
such an evaluation which seems to be due (some experts say that) to the
difficulty of determining the evaluation context. That means you should
use an extension function implemented in the specific XQuery engine that
runs your queries, for example util:eval() in eXist or saxon:evaluate()
in Saxon 9 instead of implementing your own mechanism of dynamic
evaluation (your token pre-processor) and this is why Oxygen does not
provide such a mechanism.

The eXist extension function is explained at:

http://demo.exist-db.org/exist/xquery.xml?q=.%2F%2Fsection%2Ftitle[.%20%26%3D%20%27function%20library%27]%20or%20.%2F%2Fpara[.%20%26%3D%20%27function%20library%27]&id=1.3.3#N104A0