[oXygen-user] Preprocessing Xquery

Paul Ryan
Mon Jan 12 12:42:38 CST 2009

What you suggest poses a unique problem however because the java would have to know ahead of time (prior to calling xquery) if the string being passed will be used in an evaluation. This limitation with external variables of having to pre-evaluate passed elements is a large hole for us. The middle tier that is passing the query arguments doesn't know what variables will be used for evaluation however the XQuery string/document has this information. To ensure that string variables that need to be evaluated can be evaluated we opted to create a token preprocessor vs. building logic into the java to predetermine if it should evaluate the variable to an element.

As an example parsing the following has this issue:

Exist xquery -
xquery version "1.0";

import module namespace util="http://exist-db.org/xquery/util";
declare variable $path as xs:string external;

let
        $query := concat('for $x in collection()',$path, ' return $x')
        return util:eval($query)

Desired xquery -
xquery version "1.0";

declare variable $path as xs:string external;

for $x in collection()$path return $x

Token syntax for achieving desired xquery-
xquery version "1.0";

for $x in collection()${path} return $x

Result of preprocessing on tokens-
xquery version "1.0";

for $x in collection()/mypath[@id='myid'] return $x

Our preprocessor handles a little more than is shown but the example above is the general idea behind our preprocessor.

-- Paul Ryan