[oXygen-user] New XSLT outline comments

Florent Georges
Thu Feb 26 06:06:04 CST 2009

  Hi,

  About the new outline for XSLT modules, there are two columns,
one for the name of the component and one for the mode (if the
component is a template rule and has a mode name.)  The mode
column takes a lot of place, even for a module within which you
only have functions!

  Two ideas to improve its readability: 1/ have the mode column
only for template rows (I am not sure that "conditional columns"
depending on the row are neither possible or usable) or, even
better, 2/ group all template rules in the same mode into their
own node:

    + variables
      - var1
      - var2
    + functions
      - fun1
      - fun2
    + templates
      - template-name
      - match-pattern
    + templates (mode: my-more)
      - match-pattern
      - other-one

  I think that has the double advantage of having the layout
more clear and also the grouping of template rules itself (as
usually a mode groups logically related rules.)

  Two other notes: 1/ the group names in the outline are
singular while I think they should be plural (variable
vs. variables) and 2/ template rules with a name are rendered as
"name match-pattern".  I agree that having a single "group of
words" for both is more clear because more concise, but we
should have a way to distinguish both (for instance a slightly
different color, or one in italic...)

  Hope that helps,

--
Florent Georges