[oXygen-user] Schematron validation "errors" enhancement

George Cristian Bina
Wed Dec 9 07:30:10 CST 2009

Hi John,

@role can appear only on assert, report and rule. The spec describe it
only in relation with assert and report so I do not see any problem
assuming a value on rule as a default for enclosed assertions and reports.

I changed the implementation to decide the role value looking at the
@role on assert or report and if that is not specified at the @role on rule.

That means the error level will be computed following the steps below:
1. Determine a role attribute from the assert/@role, respectively
report/@role if specified, otherwise from the parent rule/@role.
2. If the role attribute matches one of the recognized values use that.
3. If the message starts with one of the recognized values use that.
4. Use "error" as error level.

It is not a common practice to have different markers (icons) for errors
and fatal errors. Note that next to the marker there is an indication of
the severity, F for fatal errors and E for errors.