[oXygen-user] Keyboarding accented characters?

Espen S. Ore
Thu Apr 16 03:53:13 CDT 2009

Sorin Ristache skrev:
> Hello,
>
> When you change the keyboard layout you have to restart Oxygen because
> the change of the layout does not change the input method in the Java
> virtual machine. That means the Greek layout is ignored if you set it
> while Oxygen is running.

So if I am using different writing systems in the same document i
cannot  change keyboard but have to restart Oxygen for every language
change? Please add a change of this "feature" to the wishes for new
Oxygen versions list!!
> I set a Norwegian layout and I started Oxygen. I tried some Alt Right
> character combinations in 5 different applications and in Oxygen. The
> same characters are inserted in all applications. I do not have a key
> AltGr but I set the option "Press Right Alt key to choose 3rd level" in
> Layout Options -> Third level choosers (in Keyboard preferences). For
> example what is inserted on your Ubuntu machine in the Oxygen editor and
> in other editor application when you use the Norwegian layout and you
> press Right Alt + a, Right Alt + e, Right Alt + y?
>
> Maybe there are other settings that are different on your machine? How
> can I reproduce the problem?

Honestly I don't know how you can reproduce the problem. I just know
that as late as in 2008 with the versions of oxygen and Ubuntu I was
then using, I had no problems with typing in accented latin characters
with my standard keyboard settings (normal Norwegian keyboard), and now
I cannot although I can key them in in every other editing application I
use.

Espen