[oXygen-user] How to Extended Built-in DITA Author CSSes?

George Cristian Bina
Fri Apr 3 13:41:27 CDT 2009

Hi Eliot,

I believe the simplest way is to write a CSS that imports the
css_classed/dita.css stylesheet and adds additional rules. Then you can
set that as an alternate CSS in the DITA framework, or make it default
and put the current one as alternative.

This is how I have made for instance the hideColspec.css that hides the
column specifications.

If you want this only for one project then you can take advantage of the
project level options (as I explained also in the previous thread on the
list) and put the Document Type Association options at project level,
disable the DITA framework, duplicate it as an internal framework (that
means it will be stored in options, inside the project file) and then
set your CSS in the new framework. Also in this case the CSS should
import the default one from frameworks (dita/css_classed/dita.css) and
just add the additional rules.

Another possibility is to specify the CSS in the file. There are two
possible scenarios here:
1. By default is a CSS is specified in the file for DITA that will
replace the default one so you need to import the default one in that
CSS to get also the default behavior.
2. You can edit the DITA framework and specify that the CSS specified in
the file should be merged with the default one and then you can just add
the in your CSS the new rules. For that you need to select the "merge
them with CSSs from the associated doctype" option from
Options->Preferences -- Document Type Association -- DITA -- Author --
CSS -- see the "If there are CSSs specified in the document then" group.