[oXygen-user] Feature Request -- Run spell check entire DITA Map

Sorin Ristache
Fri Jul 18 08:00:29 CDT 2008

Seraphim Larsen wrote:
>           o But if it does find any errors, it would open that topic
>             file in the editor, and then kick off the normal file-based
>             spell checker.
>     * When that file-based process is done, ideally it would continue
>       with the map/project-based process.

How could the process be stopped in this case? Would a Cancel button
just skip the rest of the current file and start checking the next file
or stop the whole process? A button Cancel and another one like "Cancel
project level checking" just complicate the interaction of the user with
the dialog for spell checking in the current file. I think it is more
straightforward to show a progress dialog with a Cancel button and to
update dynamically on screen a list of errors as they are found by a non
interactive spell checking process.

>     * But even if it stopped after checking all the errors in that
>       single file, and you had to manually re-start the map/project
>       spell check, it would be a lot easier than what we have now.

If the operation stops after spell checking the first file in
interactive mode does the user conclude that there are no more errors in
the whole project or that only the first file was checked? I think users
don't like ambiguities in a graphical interface.

I think an action for spell checking the whole project/DITA map is
expected to go through all the files of the project. If the action must
be re-launched on the same project after finishing with the first file
then it is not an action with project scope as the action name implies
so it sounds like an incomplete implementation.