[oXygen-user] Re: [dita-users] All possible Xpath generator?

Hedley Finger
Tue Feb 12 19:42:26 CST 2008

Dan:

>At Wednesday, 13/02/2008, 12:16 PM;, Dan wrote:
>your post is a bit confusing, and some better details/explanations
>would be nice to see.  What do you mean by "write a list of all
>possible absolute Xpaths to a text file."

Rephrasing my original request:
I am developing a CSS implementation for [instance documents that
conform to] an XML schema. It would really help to check if all
[required CSS class matches] have been covered if I could find a
utility that would scan a DTD (including *.mod inclusions) or XML
Schema to write a list of all absolute -- not including wildcards --
[Xpaths from the root element to each possible leaf element] ... to a
text file. For example, using a possible path from a DITA DTD:

         /reference/refbody/section/p

This would help determine what class definitions can be generic
no  matter in what context an element apppears (e.g. <i>) and what
may  need different treatment depending on context
(e.g.  */section/title). Oh, and if the generator could list the
Xpath in  reverse, from leaf node to root, as well that would be pleasant:

         p\section\refbody\reference\

Then I could sort the list of paths so that all instances where <p>
was a leaf would be together and I could decide which contexts could
share a CSS class and which would need context-specific classes.

I've tried using the <oXygen/> instance generator on the DITA
task.xsd, but even limiting recursion depth and number of
repetitions, it produces very large files, possibly not completing in
my lifetime.  And then there is the problem of extracting the Xpaths.

Hope that makes it clearer,
Hedley

--
Hedley Stewart Finger
28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia