[oXygen-user] CSS editor frustrating, needs improvements

Sorin Ristache
Fri Aug 29 03:59:41 CDT 2008

Hello,

Hedley Finger wrote:

> I am incorporating copyright class definitions for  CSS-only cascading
> menus.  It would be nice to set it off the copyrighted block with extra
> empty lines above and below, but <oXygen/> reduces all separator lines
> between CLASSES to one line, and all COMMENTS are abutted with NO empty
> lines between them.  The other editors have a Preference to "[  ]
> Preserve empty lines", but not the CSS editor.

Yes, the XML editor has an option for preserving the empty lines when
the content is formatted. We will add this option to the CSS editor too.

> It would also be nice to select a block of text and wrap it in comment
> opening /* and closing */ in one operation.  And a fancy shortcut to
> select an entire class block by inserting cursor in selector/class name
> and using a key shortcut would be good.

Just select the block of text and press the shortcut key of the action
Toggle Comment (by default Ctrl + Shift + Comma) or right click on the
selected block of text and select the action Toggle Comment from the
popup menu. You can change the shortcut of the action from menu Options
-> Shortcut Keys.

We will add also an action for selecting the entire class at the
position of the cursor.

> Some attributes/properties can take either a numeric unit of measure or
> a text token, such as "auto".  It would be nice if the autocompletion
> drop-down showed placeholders (perhaps italicized) for allowable units
> which, when selected, would insert the unit of measure preceded by the
> cursor ready to type in the value.  This would considerably improve the
> function of the autocompleter as a learning tool for the inexperience
> like me and perhaps save the odd keystroke, invalid input, etc.
>
> For example,
>
>             ----------------
> width: | 99px << this one selected
>             | 99pt
>             | 99pc
>             | 99em
>             | 99mm
>             | 99cm
>             | 99in
>             | auto
>             | inherit
> etc.
>
> which completes the property thus:
>
>     width: |px;  // where | represents the cursor

We will consider also offering the allowed units of measure in the
auto-completion popup.

> Regards,
> Hedley

Thank you for your suggestions,