[oXygen-user] Autodetection tool of the type of document

Sorin Ristache
Mon Jan 29 10:31:42 CST 2007

Hello,

oXygen detects the type of document based on the file extension. There
are default associations defined in oXygen based on the most frequent
use of a file extension today (a .nvdl file contains a NVDL schema, an
.xsd file contains an XML Schema schema, a .dtd file contains a DTD, an
.xsl file contains an XSLT stylesheets, etc). You can override these
default associations in Options -> Preferences -> File Types. For
example if you define there the .xml extension to contain a NVDL schema
oXygen opens any .xml file as a NVDL schema because these user defined
associations have higher priority than the default ones. So please use
this mechanism for associating a file extension with a document type.
Analyzing the file content to set the document type when the file is
opened as you proposed would introduce a new mechanism which only
complicates the detection of the document type.

To override this mechanism on the fly without editing the Preferences ->
File Types list, for example to force opening a particular .xml file as
a NVDL schema just add that .xml file to the Project view, right click
on the file in the Project view tree and select Open as -> NVDL Schema.