[oXygen-user] Autoinsertion of Child Elements Leaves Cursor in Wrong Place

Radu Coravu
Thu Dec 20 01:46:28 CST 2007

Hi Eliot,

For the moment the caret is placed directly after the start of the
inserted element.

Indeed, if the element has required content it would make sense to put
the caret in the first child instead of the inserted parent.
We did not implement this from the start because we considered there
were cases in which a user would not appreciate this.
For example in Docbook4 inserting an "itemizedlist" automatically
inserts a "listitem" but the caret is before the "listitem" and you can
insert tags there before starting to insert in the listitem.
Any idea on how to handle the caret positioning in a generic way?
Maybe we could add an option to activate this "smart caret positioning".