[oXygen-user] DocBook 5.0b1 xsd with oXygen-6.2 and Xincludes

George Cristian Bina
Mon Oct 31 02:43:43 CST 2005

Dear Ray,

For DocBook 5 it is recommended to use the Relax NG schema instead of
the DTD or XML Schema. Reading Norman Walsh post on the rng-users list
[1] I see that there were problems converting from Relax NG to XSD with
TRANG so they obtained the XSD schema converting the Relax NG to DTD and
then converting from DTD to XML Schema - that means that the XSD will
not contain more than the DTD.

The XInclude support works with Relax NG without any problems. You can
set up a default schema association in Options->Preferences -- Editor --
Default Schema Association between the DocBook namespace and the Relax
NG XInclude enabled schema, see below my settings:

Namespace: http://docbook.org/ns/docbook
Root local name: <ANY>
File name: <ANY>
Schema Type: RNG Schema
Schema URI: file:/F:/test/docbook-5.0b1/rng/docbookxi.rng

Make sure you move this up in the list of associations otherwise you may
get the document associated with the version 4 DTD as there is already a
rule for that association.

After that if you have the XInclude support enabled you should be able
to have documents like:

test.xml
========
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0">
     <title>test</title>
     <article>
         <title>test</title>
         <para>test</para>
         <include xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
href="section1.xml">
             <fallback>
                 <para xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook">Missing
section 1</para>
             </fallback>
         </include>
     </article>
</book>

section1.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<section xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0">
     <title>Section1</title>
     <para> Section 1 content. </para>
</section>

The validation will be performed against the Relax NG schema after
expanding the XInclude elements.

Hope that helps,