[oXygen-user] v 6.0: Find misbehaves

Sorin Ristache
Fri Jun 10 06:44:07 CDT 2005

Dear Lars Huttar,

I tried <oXygen/> 6.0 build 2005051612 on Windows XP SP 2, Mac OS X
10.4.1 Tiger and Linux Mandrake 10 but I could not reproduce any part of
the reported random misbehavior of the Find/Replace dialog. Please
specify if you are using a custom look and feel installed in <oXygen/>.

In order to find what could cause the misbehavior on your machine please
copy the attached file to the [oXygen-installed-dir]/lib directory,
restart <oXygen/>, repeat the steps that lead to the bugs and reply with
the oxygen.log file generated in the [oXygen-installed-dir] directory.

Also see the remarks below.

Lars Huttar wrote:
> Hi all,
> Running Oxygen 6.0, build 2005051612.
> Sometimes, Find works perfectly: I type a string in the "Text to find"
> field and press Enter, and the window scrolls to where an occurrence of
> the string is, and the found string is highlighted.
> Other times, when I press Enter, I only get the Find: Search Completed
> [OK] dialog, implying that the search string is nowhere in the file...
> even though it's right there before my eyes (and after where the cursor
> is).

Please make sure the find criteria set by the checkboxes and radio
buttons allow the find match that you think <oXygen/> is missing. For
example if the search is backward and with no wrap around you will never
get a find match after the current caret position.

> Still other times, I get both: the "Find: Search Completed [OK]" dialog,
> and then half a second later, it scrolls down and highlights an occurrence.

With only one push of the ENTER key ? It is strange but maybe the log
file will help us to debug it.

> It's gotten to the point where, if I search for something and don't find
> it, I can't be certain it's not there. I either look for it by eyeball,
> or have to open a different editor.
>

> On a related note, if I go to the Find dialog and type a string that
> isn't in the file, and press Enter, of course I get the "Find: Search
> Completed [OK]" dialog; but when I press Enter again to close the latter
> dialog, it closes and immediately pops up again. (But only once, not
> repeatedly.)

The "Find: Search Completed [OK]" dialog pops up again after closing it
with ENTER only when the search returns no match or it happens every
time when this dialog is displayed ?

> Regards,
> Lars

Best regards,