[oXygen-user] oXygen 5.1 beta

George Cristian Bina
Thu Jan 6 07:19:33 CST 2005

Hi everybody!

First of all I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year!

We have almost ready a new version of oXygen and we made available a
couple of distributions of a beta version of oXygen 5.1.

Windows without a JVM:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/v5.1beta/InstData/Windows/NoVM/oxygen.exe
All platforms:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/v5.1beta/InstData/All/oxygen.tar.gz
Eclipse site URL:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/v5.1beta/InstData/Eclipse/site.xml

I would like to invite you to try it out and let us know if you find any
problem with it.
Although it is a minor release it contains a lot of new additions and
improvements. I will mention the most important features below:

* Folding support
oXygen has a light folding implementation and offers more that
collapse/expand actions. The most useful action is IMO collapse child
folds (CTRL + Numpad-) which will collapse the child fold elements of
the current fold (that is it will present the children elements of the
current element collapsed). Using this starting from the root element
and going down to the element of interest will have as result the
document presented with all the elements collapsed except the element of
interest. Also the folding structure is preserved after a format and
indent action and even if you close the file and reopen it.

* Really improved Relax NG support (I think this will make a lot of
people happy :) )
The content completion support for Relax NG was rewritten from scratch
to offer context sensitive proposals and it is not almost at the same
level as the support for XML Schema and DTD.
Also we have now an implementation of the Model View based on the Relax
NG schema associated with the instance document that shows the element
model and the possible attributes. The most important missing part that
we plan to address in a future release is the annotation support, that
is to present the annotations in the content completion documentation
window and in the Model View.

* Schematron support
oXygen will offer full support for Schematron 1.5. This includes editing
and validating Schematron schemas, validating XML documents with
Schematron schemas, with Relax NG schemas with embedded Schematron rules
and with XML Schemas with embedded Schematron rules.

* Support for XSLTProc, MSXML 3.0, MSXML 4.0 and MSXML.Net as XSLT
transformers.

* Support for ID values on content completion
oXygen will present the ID values collected in the last validate action
on the content completion proposals where an IDREF or an IDREFS type is
specified. This works not only with documents that have a DTD associated
but also with documents that have an XML Schema or a Relax NG schema
associated.

* Code templates
The content completion support can be enhanced with code templates.
oXygen already ships with some code templates for XSLT (thanks to M.
David Peterson) and XSD. One example is typing cwto and pressing
CTRL+Space will get into an XSLT document something like:
     <xsl:choose>
         <xsl:when test="|">

         </xsl:when>
         <xsl:otherwise>

         </xsl:otherwise>
     </xsl:choose>
where | represents the caret position. The code templates are triggered
with CTRL+Space and they are presented together with eventual content
completion proposals.

* Automatic detection of formatting settings
There are two options that control this feature. The first (true by
default) controls the detection of indent size and indent characters.
The second (false by default) controls the detection of line width.

* Hard line wrap as you edit
This is a time saving option. When editing content one needs to use
almost at every line the format and indent action in order to get the
content wrapped. Now the wrapping can be triggered automatically (if the
option is enabled) and one can issue a format and indent action
eventually when he finishes the editing of that content.

There are more features, I will just mention their short description below:
* Content completion support also on element values (for elements with
XML Schema simple type content)
* Saving of WSDL SOAP Requests
* Open Web Service Call Result into the Editor
* Extended Go to Options
* Optional Content in new XML Document Creation
* Scenario based XSLT debugging session
* Save the Debug Trace
* Extended Batch Validation
* Saxon 8.SA can be used as XQuery Processor
* Annotation Tooltips
* Sortable Tables
* Option for saving all files before validation or transformation
* Project improvements
* Fixed the bidirectional editing support
* Better undo support
* Updated the TEI framework
* File properties page