[oXygen-user] Bookmarks

Dan Caprioara
Tue Oct 14 08:02:33 CDT 2003

Hello Sean,

>Another feature, I think this may already have been
>suggested, is the ability to select an element and any
>child/data it may contain. So the use case would be:
>if I have a sect2 that is long, say three screens, I
>would like to place the cursor into the opening or
>closing sect2 element, right-click > select element.
>This will cause the editor to select <sect2> ... any
>content ... </sect2>.

Yes, this is a useful feature. It is on our to do list.

>We already have an option to Escape Selection.
>
>If Oxygen had an XML Browser feature like that of
>XMLShell or MSIE this would also be great for
>productivity and usability.

I'll check that.

>Another feature. It would be very useful to have an
>insight menu that displays the values of all id
>attributes (XPath representation would be //*/@id).
>
>The use case for this is great for Docbook xlink
>elements like xref, where the xref linkend attribute
>is the value an element id attribute. Naturally the id
>should be within the current document so that parsing
>can be done to obtain the value of all id's. Although,
>an enhanced version should enable a user to select the
>document to be parsed for id values. This would reduce
>the need to open a document in order to identify the
>exact string value of an id.

I see. The problem is that the detection of the the ids must be done  by
iterating all external entities. We run some tests and it is a time
consuming operation. We can try in a first phase to collect all the ids
from the edited document, and offer them as values.

>Another feature, also I think previously mentioned. Is
>a Tree View. Not the Tree Editor, but a Tree View that
>enables navigation and selection of document parts.
>This view should also be insync with the cursor
>position in the editor.

This is work in progress.. It will be an outline tree.

>Next. This change would be very intrusive.
>Would it be possible to break the interface into an
>open plan? Rather than having a single window
>bordering all parts, separate the parts into dock-able
>pieces.
>1. Main Menu and Toolbar
>2. Project View
>3. Editor ( a separate window per document )
>Editor Toolbar and Message panel can remain on each
>Editor Window.
>
>The idea behind the open plan interface is to enable
>better optimization of the screen real-estate, greater
>flexibility in real-estate layout.

There are packages that offer this kind of functionality.  We will check
the performances. I have put it on the to do list.

Thank you for the suggestions,

Many regards,

Dan Caprioara