[oXygen-sdk] [ann] oXygen XML Editor version 15

Radu Coravu radu_coravu at sync.ro
Wed Jun 12 03:24:34 CDT 2013

Hi all,

I am happy to announce that a new version of oXygen XML Editor is
available from our website:
http://www.oxygenxml.com

We added lots of interesting API in version 15.0:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/index.html#15.0Extended_API

Here's what I consider the top 5, most of them apply to the standalone
version of Oxygen:

1) Contribute Custom Preferences Page From a Plugin

A plugin for the standalone version of Oxygen can contribute one or more
preference pages to Oxygen's Preferences dialog.
Instead of having a separate dialog in which to configure your plugin's
settings, they can now be seamlessly merged in Oxygen's Preferences
dialog under the "Plugins" section.

2) Set Global Option from the API.

Force a certain Oxygen global option to a certain value using the API
from a plugin in the standalone version of Oxygen. The API was already
available for the Author Component API.

3) Show/Hide Views and Toolbars from the API

We already had the API to show a view/toolbar, now we added the API to
hide a view/toolbar as well. So you can show/hide a view when
appropriate (when a certain XML document is opened for example). Or you
can hide the standard views which are contributed by Oxygen.

4) You can add toolbar actions which invoke a certain transformation
scenario defined at document type level. So for example you can add a
toolbar button called "PDF" with an appropriate icon which generates the
PDF when the user clicks it.

5) Receive callbacks Before or After an Action Was Executed.
The "AuthorActionsProvider" API gives access to a lot of both common and
document type-defined actions. You can now add a special listener which
receives callbacks before and after an action is executed. In this way
you can run custom code before or after the action's code and you can
also reject the action's default code.

Additional changes interesting for developers:

1) We added a Button Group Form Control CSS extension:

> http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-oxygen/topics/button-group-editor.html

which can be used to show in the Author mode a drop down button with
various operations to choose from.

2) In the Oxygen Preferences there is a new preferences page called
"Document Type Association / Locations". You can add there additional
directories in which document types/frameworks are searched for.

3) In CSS we added support for @media print. So you can specify custom
CSS selectors which are used only when the Author mode content gets
printed using our Print and Print Preview actions and not when the
content is shown to the user.

4) The annotations which can be presented for each XML element when
hovering over it in the Text or Author mode can now have HTML content.
We used this for DITA and Docbook to show links to the specification for
each element but this can also be used for any XML vocabulary.

If you run into any problems using the version 15.0 editor or Author
Component please do not hesitate to contact us.

Radu

Radu Coravu