PDF output: How to prevent leaving section titles at the bottom of page with nothing following them

Having trouble installing <oXygen/>? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Olga P

PDF output: How to prevent leaving section titles at the bottom of page with nothing following them

Post by Olga P » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Hello,

I use Docbook 5.1, Saxon HE 9.8.0.12, and DockBook PDF scenario to build PDFs. How should I customize XSL to prevent leaving section titles at the bottom of page with nothing following them?

Radu

Re: PDF output: How to prevent leaving section titles at the bottom of page with nothing following them

Post by Radu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi Olga,

We are not very familiar with customizing DocBook but there is a free mailing list (<docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>) on which you may want in the future to ask DocBook-related customization questions:

https://docbook.org/help

Coming back to your question:

The DocBook publishing uses Saxon 6 for publishing as the DocBook XSLT stylesheet have version 1.0.
In the XSLT stylesheet:

OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR/frameworks/docbook/xsl/fo/param.xsl

there is an attribute set called "section.title.properties" which already has the "keep-with-next.within-column" attribute set to "always" so it should work by default.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Olga P

Re: PDF output: How to prevent leaving section titles at the bottom of page with nothing following them

Post by Olga P » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Radu,

Thank you for your response. I found out that the <xsl:attribute name="keep-with-next.within-column">always</xsl:attribute> works in case you don't have indexterms following a section title. If you have the stucture like this:

<section xml:id="CDU_DEFINING_COMMAND_VERBS">
<title>Defining Command Verbs</title>
<indexterm><primary>Command Definition Utility (CDU)</primary><secondary>defining verbs</secondary></indexterm>
<para>The DEFINE VERB statement defines a new command verb and specifies its characteristics. You
can define any number of verbs in a single command definition file.</para>

then in PDF, a section title may appear at the bottom of the page. Is there any way to prevent this?