Japanese Fonts Garbled when Converting from Markdown to DITA

Eddie
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:07 am

Japanese Fonts Garbled when Converting from Markdown to DITA

Post by Eddie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am

Hello
Using Author V20.1.

We have some Japanese files that we want to convert from markdown to DITA in oXygen.

If I convert by right-clicking in the markdown pane and clicking [Export as DITA Topic], they convert normally.
If I convert using the Batch Converter add-on, they convert normally.
But if I convert by right-clicking the topicref in Map Manager and clicking [Refactoring] – [Convert Markdown to DITA topic], the Japanese text is garbled.

Looking at the files in a text editor, they are all UTF-8 for UNIX.
I’ve tried changing this encoding in various ways.
The only way I can get the readable DITA by right-clicking the topicref in Map Manager is if I change the encoding to ANSI for PC.

I noticed some other odd things while checking this, but first…

Is the above behavior correct or are we doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Eddie.

Radu
Posts: 6343
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Japanese Fonts Garbled when Converting from Markdown to DITA

Post by Radu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am

Hi Eddie,

What you discovered is a bug in Oxygen and we'll work to fix it. In the meantime please use the other means of conversion (Batch Converter, Export as DITA topic) which properly preserve the Japanese content.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Eddie
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:07 am

Re: Japanese Fonts Garbled when Converting from Markdown to DITA

Post by Eddie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:05 am

Hello Radu,

Thanks for the reply.

Understood. We'll use the other methods for now.

Cheers,

Eddie

Radu
Posts: 6343
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Japanese Fonts Garbled when Converting from Markdown to DITA

Post by Radu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:19 am

Hi,

The latest Oxygen 20.1 minor bug fix release kits we uploaded on our web site should fix this problem.

https://www.oxygenxml.com/build_history.html#2018101517

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Eddie
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:07 am

Re: Japanese Fonts Garbled when Converting from Markdown to DITA

Post by Eddie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 am

Hello,
Apologies for the late reply. I didn't realise that you'd made the fix.
Anyway, I checked it in V21 and it seems to be converting fine.

Thanks for the effort and response.

Eddie.

Post Reply