Schema Reverse Engineering

This should cover W3C XML Schema, Relax NG and DTD related problems.
gstathis

Schema Reverse Engineering

Post by gstathis »

Hi, I just downloaded the software and I'm evaluating it for my company. I searched the forums but I was unable to find an answer to this question:

Can I reverse engineer an XML Schema from an XML file using <oXygen/>? That is, having an XML document, can I auto generate the schema file describing the structure of that XML document?

Cheers,

-GS
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Sure, you can use the "Convert to..." action from the editor toolbar to convert that to XML Schema, DTD or Relax NG schema.

If you have more XML documents then you can use the Tools->Trang converter to specify the set of XML documents and you can get also an XML Schema or a DTD or a Relax NG schema. This helps generating a better schema as there are more XML instances that will be evaluated.

Best Regards,
George
gstathis

Post by gstathis »

george wrote:Hi,

Sure, you can use the "Convert to..." action from the editor toolbar to convert that to XML Schema, DTD or Relax NG schema.

If you have more XML documents then you can use the Tools->Trang converter to specify the set of XML documents and you can get also an XML Schema or a DTD or a Relax NG schema. This helps generating a better schema as there are more XML instances that will be evaluated.

Best Regards,
George
Very nice! Thank you for the prompt reply and sorry if the question had an obvious answer. I had found the batch "Trang converter" under the "XML Tools" menu (Eclipse plug-in) but I didn't realize that it was not the same as the "Trang converter" under the "XML" menu. The latter automatically picks the current file in the editor as the source of the conversion. It actually should be called "Convert to..." as it may better convey that the action will be performed on the current file.

Thanks again!

-GS
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Indeed, we added that on our bugzilla. The action from the editor is called "Convert to" in the standalone version but that was not changed also in the Eclipse plugin.

Best Regards,
George