Constraining attr value in DocBook rng schema customization

This should cover W3C XML Schema, Relax NG and DTD related problems.
dcramer

Constraining attr value in DocBook rng schema customization

Post by dcramer »

Hi there,
I'm trying to create a customization layer for the DocBook 5.0 rng schema in which I constrain the legal values for the security attribute to an enumerated set of values. From tutorials I've read it seems I'm supposed to redefine db.security.attribute as follows:

Code: Select all

<define name="db.security.attribute">
<attribute name="security">
<a:documentation>Security level of this element.</a:documentation>
<choice>
<value>internal</value>
<a:documentation>This element contains internal-only content.</a:documentation>
<value>reviewer</value>
<a:documentation>This element contains reviewer-content.</a:documentation>
<value>external</value>
<a:documentation>This element contains external content and will be published in all version of the docuemnt.</a:documentation>
<value>writeronly</value>
<a:documentation>This element contains writeronly content and will not be published in external, internal, or reviewer versions of the document.</a:documentation>
</choice>
</attribute>
</define>
However, if I add the code above to my customization, Oxygen/Jing complains that <define> for db.security.attribute must have a combine attribute (with a value of interleave or choice). Adding combine="interleave" also gives an error. There's no error if I add combine="choice" but it also doesn't constrain the security attribute and considers the doc valid with any value for security.

How do I completely override a definition from the base schema in my customization layer?

Thanks,
David
dcramer

Re: Constraining attr value in DocBook rng schema customization

Post by dcramer »

Never mind. I figured out that overrides have to be children of the <include> of the schema you're including and overriding. That makes perfect sense now that I get it...much better than the DTD way.

Sorry for the noise,
David
george
Site Admin

Re: Constraining attr value in DocBook rng schema customization

Post by george »

Hi David,

No problem, thanks for the follow up. This will be a useful topic for people searching our forum for a similar issue.

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina