Page 1 of 1

Fatal encoding error in DITA->XHTML transformation

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:22 pm
by d_croft
Hi there,

I have a DITA material that I'm trying to transform into XHTML, but the following error causes the transformation to fail:

Code: Select all

BUILD FAILED
/Applications/oxygen/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT2.x/build.xml:41: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/Applications/oxygen/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT2.x/plugins/org.dita.base/build_preprocess.xml:88: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/Applications/oxygen/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT2.x/plugins/org.dita.base/build_init.xml:137: Fatal error during transformation using /Applications/oxygen/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT2.x/xsl/job-helper.xsl: Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 228); SystemID: file:/Applications/oxygen/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT2.x/xsl/job-helper.xsl; Line#: 94; Column#: -1


"Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 228)" <- that character is the letter "ä", which previously has caused no problems. I don't know for sure what brought this problem on. All files are encoded as UTF-8, so that isn't the issue. As far as I know (and i checked), the files do not contain any other non-UTF-8 characters either.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Best regards,
Tino

Re: Fatal encoding error in DITA->XHTML transformation

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm
by d_croft
I'm trying to use the "DITA Map XHTML" transformation scenario, and we are using a custom plugin, but before it was working with no encoding issues.

Re: Fatal encoding error in DITA->XHTML transformation

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm
by Radu
Hi,

There is an issue opened for this problem:

https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot/issues/2957

Somehow one of the file names for your DITA topics or maps has some non-ASCII character in it.

Regards,
Radu

Re: Fatal encoding error in DITA->XHTML transformation

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:32 pm
by d_croft
I'm using Mac, so do you think this is because of the same problem? I went through all filenames, and didn't come across any non-ASCII characters in them.

Re: Fatal encoding error in DITA->XHTML transformation

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:51 am
by Radu
Hi,

The fact that you are using a Mac should not influence things. Looking back at the reported error:

Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 228)


The character which has decimal 228 is "ä". Maybe you can look again if the ancestor folders or DITA file names contain this character in them.
Otherwise you should try to manually remove the transformation temporary and output folders and try again to publish.

Regards,
Radu

Re: Fatal encoding error in DITA->XHTML transformation

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 pm
by d_croft
This issue was caused by incorrectly defined format attributes in xrefs that point to local DITA files (format="html" instead of "dita"). Case closed.

My old Oxygen 17.1 was, for some reason, not able to display these errors, and stated that the problem is encoding-related. Updating to 20.1 helped.