docbook v5 customization layer - german umlaute / oxygenxml

osprofi
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 pm

docbook v5 customization layer - german umlaute / oxygenxml

Post by osprofi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 am

Hello Docbook user

I am writing a customization layer and have 2 questions:

1) I wrote an xml testfile in UTF-8 encoding using german umlaute;
I specified in the customization file for html conversion

Code: Select all

<xsl:output method="html" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
the related meta tag

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
is displayed correctly, but the german umlaute, e.g. ä is written like this: &auml;

What do I need to adjust so that the correct UTF-8 code for the letter ä will be displayed ?

2) Before using a customization layer for the html transformation Oxygenxml generated an html file which was immediately displayed; Now, using a customization layer for the html transformation the html code is only displayed in the lower window.

What do I need to adjust that the generated html file is displayed straight on ?

Thanks for your help.

regards, peter

osprofi
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 pm

Re: docbook v5 customization layer - german umlaute / oxygen

Post by osprofi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am

Hello docbook users
question #2 is solved using changing the output parameter in the transformation scenario
regards, peter

sorin_ristache
Posts: 4144
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:12 pm

Re: docbook v5 customization layer - german umlaute / oxygen

Post by sorin_ristache » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello Peter,

osprofi wrote:1) I wrote an xml testfile in UTF-8 encoding using german umlaute;
I specified in the customization file for html conversion

Code: Select all

<xsl:output method="html" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
the related meta tag

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
is displayed correctly, but the german umlaute, e.g. ä is written like this: &auml;

What do I need to adjust so that the correct UTF-8 code for the letter ä will be displayed ?
This is caused by the attribute method="html" of the element xsl:output in the XSLT stylesheet. The HTML serializer is imposed by this output method declaration and for the non-ASCII characters it does not guarantee that the Unicode codepoint is used. In particular the German umlaute characters are always represented as entity references (e.g. &auml;). If you change the method to "xml" you get the ä character.

Anyway the browser displays the character correctly (i.e. ä) regardless of the representation in the HTML file, as the ä character or as the entity reference &auml;, because all browsers (I think) know how to represent the &auml; reference. So the exact representation in the HTML file does not really matter if the character is displayed correctly in the browser.


Regards,
Sorin

Post Reply