Oxygen not using JRE 1.7.0_10

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
William

Oxygen not using JRE 1.7.0_10

Post by William »

Hello.

I have just upgraded our JRE & JDK to 1.7.0_10 and updated JAVA_HOME to reflect this and logged out and in again. Having already renamed our jre directory (jreold) Oxygen didn't use the new JRE but used an older version. I had assumed it would use the newest version.

Anyway to get it to work I created a sym link in /opt/oxygen jre -> /opt/jre1.7.0_10 to force the use of the JRE.

I am using Debian x64 6.0.5 and Oxygen Developer 14.1, build 2012101809 and build 2012121012

--
William
William

Re: Oxygen not using JRE 1.7.0_10

Post by William »

Hello.

As there is no reply to this (as yet) I suspected that the post was a bit thin and as I'm not clairvoyant I thought it best to update it to say that regardless of how many JREs are installed on the machine Oxygen will not make use of 1.7.0_10 even if it is the only physical JRE installed and set via JAVA_HOME. The only way I could get this to work was via the Sym Link.

I myself suspect it's down the the parsing of the version number as it is the most obvious candidate due to the way Java orders 10 before 1. But, if you want or need more information please let me know and I will provide what I can.

--
William
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello William,

As long as there is a folder named jre in the Oxygen installation folder (with a Java Runtime Environment), Oxygen will use that one. If you want to bypass the Oxygen bundled JRE and use a different JRE instead (from JAVA_HOME or PATH environment variables), you can simply rename the 'jre' folder (e.g. 'jre.old').

Please note that we generally recommend our users to use the JRE bundled with the application. The reason we are offering our installers with a built-in JRE is that this way we control the distribution and version of the JVM that Oxygen is running on. Having a fixed version JVM means we can thoroughly test the application with it which allows us to make sure no critical bugs are present in it and if there are any, we have the possibility to work around them accordingly.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
William

Post by William »

adrian wrote:Hello William,

As long as there is a folder named jre in the Oxygen installation folder (with a Java Runtime Environment), Oxygen will use that one. If you want to bypass the Oxygen bundled JRE and use a different JRE instead (from JAVA_HOME or PATH environment variables), you can simply rename the 'jre' folder (e.g. 'jre.old').
Yes I do this already see the original post.
adrian wrote: Please note that we generally recommend our users to use the JRE bundled with the application. The reason we are offering our installers with a built-in JRE is that this way we control the distribution and version of the JVM that Oxygen is running on. Having a fixed version JVM means we can thoroughly test the application with it which allows us to make sure no critical bugs are present in it and if there are any, we have the possibility to work around them accordingly.

Regards,
Adrian
I fully understand and appreciate the logic of this but I make use of Extensions that require the 1.7+ JRE as the code within them makes use of version specific code such as autoclose and concurrent threads and I use Oxygen to develop and test my transformations before implementing them within my applets / applications.

I just thought I would bring this to your attention as Oxygen does work (without sym link) when using versions 1.7.0.0_07/9

--
William
adrian

Post by adrian »

Sorry, I missed your initial statement about renaming the jre folder. It should work in that case. Maybe there's something else that interferes.

I've just had a look at the launch scripts and also tested v14.1 in Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 with JRE 1.7.0_10 x86_64 and everything looked and worked as expected.

I did a quick test, so I unpacked the JRE directly in Downloads, ran export JAVA_HOME=/home/user/Downloads/jre1.7.0_10 directly in the Terminal window and then (after renaming the old jre folder) ran in the same terminal: sh oxygen14.1 in the Oxygen installation folder. I checked in Help > About, System properties and saw that it uses the correct JRE.
I also have OpenJDK 1.6.0.24 (which is also in the PATH) installed directly from the Ubuntu repository, but Oxygen prefers the one from JAVA_HOME.

What other JRE do you have that Oxygen picks up instead of the one from JAVA_HOME?
How did you set the JAVA_HOME environment variable?

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
William

Post by William »

Hi Adrian
How did you set the JAVA_HOME environment variable?
Incorrectly as it would appear! I only updated .bashrc and neglected to update the .profile, so apart from forgetfulness the only other thing I can attempt to blame is the fact that it was New Year's Day! :oops:

--
William.