Can't upgrade Subversion working copy to 1.7

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
gpm2a

Can't upgrade Subversion working copy to 1.7

Post by gpm2a »

Having upgraded to oXygen 14.1, including its SVN client that supports SVN 1.7, I'm unable to upgrade my SVN working copies. I get the following error message:

Operation failed: svn: E200030: java.io.IOException: Operation not supported

The SVN service I'm using (Assembla.com) supports 1.7, so I don't think that's the problem. I also tried running cleanup on the working copy using the oXygen SVN client, then trying again to upgrade the working copy to 1.7, but that didn't help. I tried upgrading multiple working copies to 1.7 and they all failed with the same error message, so I know it's not just one working copy that's causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg
adrian

Re: Can't upgrade Subversion working copy to 1.7

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Are the working copies in your local file system or on a network share?
Or are you using multiple Subversion clients (e.g. TortoiseSVN)?

I'm asking because there are some issues with the svnkit/sqlite libraries (that Oxygen/Syncro SVN Client use) and concurrent (application/user) access on working copies.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
gpm2a

Post by gpm2a »

adrian wrote:Are the working copies in your local file system or on a network share?
Network share.
adrian wrote:Or are you using multiple Subversion clients (e.g. TortoiseSVN)?
No, I only use the Oxygen SVN client.
florin

Post by florin »

Hello,

Starting with SVN 1.7, the working copy format was changed - it is based on an SQLite database, instead of the olf file-based mechanism.

The initial error code (E200030) is documented as being an SQLite error, so I assume this is a database internal error.
Looking at the SQLite documentation, I found this article about how SQLite locks are implemented, based on the underlying operating system and what problems can raise when using a network filesystem:
http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html

Read section 6.0 How To Corrupt Your Database Files, I assume the error you reported can be related with these problems.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do further. As an alternative, please try to upgrade using the native Subversion command-line client - maybe it can help (or maybe not). Let us know the result.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
gpm2a

Post by gpm2a »

I tried checking out a new working copy (using Oxygen SVN client) with 1.7 as the format, with the same network share as the destination, but that failed with the same error message.

I then tried installing the 1.7 svn command-line tool on my Mac, and I didn't bother to determine why, though perhaps it's because 1.6 was already installed.

Checking out a 1.7 working copy to my local Mac filesystem works fine, but I have to keep my working copies on a network share due to our architecture, so I'll stick with 1.6 for now.
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

If using the native Subversion command-line client gives the same error, then this is for sure due to the SQLite database engine and how it works.

Also, I tend to think that this is the cause, since the check out did not work either using SVN 1.7 format directly.

A last thing I can think about (to be sure that this is the cause) is to check out a test working copy locally with SVN 1.7 and, after, move it to the network share. I guess that if you try to do any operation on that working copy, it will not work, throwing the same error. So, for sure the new SQLite-based working copy format is not usable on a network share.

Unfortunately, we cannot help you further regarding this issue, since, in this case, the problems is not generated by Syncro SVN Client.

Regarding your workflow, usually is not a good idea to have working copies shared over a network (especially if they are used by multiple users). Also, this can triggers performance problems while using your working copies.

Best Regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor