Relax NG validity check for ID/IDREF

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
dsewell

Relax NG validity check for ID/IDREF

Post by dsewell »

When using oXygen 5.0 to validate an XML document against a Relax NG schema (.rng or .rnc), the validation does not check to see that an attribute with a value of type IDREF or IDREFS points to one or more ID attribute values within the document.

The Jing validator used by oXygen allows the user to choose whether or not to check ID/IDREF/IDREFS (by default it does; "jing -i" disables checking). I would suggest that you add a user option in oXygen so that we could turn ID checking on and off, either in the Preferences or in the Relax NG Validation menu.

David
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi David,

Thanks fot noting this.
Will just enabling this option be satisfactory? I mean we do not see a real usecase for having it disabled.

Best Regards,
George
dsewell

Post by dsewell »

It can probably just be enabled. If someone is using attribute values of datatype ID or IDREF they would want to have them checked when they validate a document instance.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. We enabled the check in the current development stream so the fix will be in 5.1.

Best Regards,
George
dsewell

Post by dsewell »

Thanks!
dsewell

Add option to select "jing" vs "jing -i"

Post by dsewell »

George,

I've just discovered a place where it's a problem if jing is used without the -i parameter for validation. It prevents oXygen from using the current OASIS Open Document Relax NG schema (which will be the schema for the document format used by OpenOffice 2.0, etc.). Try downloading

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/do ... 0-cd-3.rng

and validating with oXygen. Someone discusses this issue here:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/of ... 00002.html

I don't know whether the real problem is with jing or the OASIS schema. Maybe it would be a good idea to return oXygen to use

Code: Select all

jing -i
by default, and add a user option "enable checking of ID/IDREF/IDREFS" that would give the behavior of 5.1 if selected.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi David,

Thanks for the note. We already added that as an option at user requests so the next release will contain Options->Preferences -- XML -- XML Parser options -- Relax NG -- Check ID/IDREF.
There is also another option for Relax NG validation that controls if the document is checked to be feasibly valid or valid.

Best Regards,
George
dsewell

Post by dsewell »

Great, then I'll look forward to the next release,

David