Oxygen 14 + Eclipse Juno

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
jelovirt

Oxygen 14 + Eclipse Juno

Post by jelovirt »

Should Oxygen 14 work with Eclipse Juno (4.2)? On OS X the installation seems to fail.
sorin_ristache

Re: Oxygen 14 + Eclipse Juno

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi Jarno,

Unfortunately Oxygen 14.0 which we just released does not support Eclipse 4 due to some major Eclipse API changes between Eclipse 3.x and Eclipse 4. We will put more work in the Eclipse 4 support in the next Oxygen version (probably).

Regards,
Sorin
Bob Kerns

Post by Bob Kerns »

In the nearly 5 years I've been using Oxygen XML, this delay is the biggest bummer I've encountered.

Now, to put that into perspective -- the reason I starting using Oxygen XML in the first place was all the bugs the competitor's product I was using kept shipping with.

And the immediate biggest reason I wanted to get Oxygen XML into my Eclipse, is because of the horrible bugs in the Eclipse Javascript support in particular. (Though I've learned you can bypass those by turning off Mark Occurrences).

So don't rush anything out the door! Just know there are customers out there eagerly awaiting your release of Eclipse Juno support, and looking for your usual quality.

Still, it IS a bummer.... :(

[Second worst bummer? Probably unwanted-but-technically-correct validation warning markers on html or CSS that I can't really do anything about but distract from the ones I need. If these are my biggest complaints after 5 years -- you're doing well indeed.]
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Regarding the first and biggest bummer...

The problem with Eclipse 4.x was that it had significant API changes/inconsistencies during the development of Eclipse 4.0 and 4.1. This made us think twice before supporting it at that early stage.
When the stable build of Eclipse 4.2 (Juno) was finally released in June 2012, Oxygen v14.0 was already very close to its own release date and it was simply not possible for us to tweak it in time to officially support the new version of Eclipse. Note that I said "officially", this means it still works, but there are issues (some significant).

However, since the release of Oxygen 14.0 we have dedicated plenty of development time to supporting Eclipse 4.2 (Juno) and I'm glad to say that it will be officially supported starting with Oxygen 14.1 (to be released soon).

Regarding the second bummer...
For CSS validation Oxygen has profiles, warning levels and also a list of properties to ignore. These can be configured in Window > Preferences, <oXygen/> > CSS Validator. So, at least in theory, you should be able to tweak it to no longer report unwanted warnings in some properties.
I'm not sure what we could do for (X)HTML. Is it HTML4, HTML5 or XHTML that you're having issues with?

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Bob Kerns

Post by Bob Kerns »

Thanks, I look forward to Oxygen 14.1!

The problem with disabling warnings is that, while it eliminates the warnings -- it eliminates the warnings.

That is -- I don't want to turn off the warnings themselves, I want to turn them off in just the files that belong to some third-party component I'm using.

Being able to turn off warnings entirely for such files would do the trick nicely. I really have no interest in their warnings -- yet I do remain interested in my own!

(My apologies if the feature is there -- I don't have it installed into Eclipse at the moment).

And in case it wasn't clear -- I was praising you with faint criticism. (The inverse of "damning with faint praise"). There aren't many tools I've used which have been as solid, which is impressive considering the complexity. I wish Eclipse itself was as solid.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Sorry about misunderstanding the faint criticism, it went over my head. In tech support we rarely encounter that. Thank you for the kind words.

Regarding the CSS warnings, now I understand what you want. You want a mechanism for ignoring CSS warnings on a per file basis. I'm thinking of the "#pragma" directives in C or more close to this, the "@SuppressWarnings" directives from Java. As far as I know CSS doesn't have something like this and Oxygen doesn't provide an alternative solution.

I'll log a feature request to allow the user to selectively mark warnings to be ignored on a per file basis. This will be analyzed and if found appropriate, it will be implemented in a future version of Oxygen.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com