Tag-Insight improvements FollowUp

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Falk

Tag-Insight improvements FollowUp

Post by Falk »

It seems, as a guest, I can post but not reply...

This is a follow-up on topic "Tag-Insight improvements".

I have posted further tag-insight improvement requests related to list values in the forum about Schema/Relax NG (Single post there yet :lol: )
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Thank you for your messages.

The Relax NG content completion is a little behind compared with the support for XML Schemas and even DTDs. We plan to improve it in the future.

The next release will contain also some content completion improvements wrt content generation for elements and better support for specific editors or applications like XSL and XSD or DocBook.

> Single post there yet

The XML related forums were just created a few days ago :).

Best Regards,
George
falk

Post by falk »

The Relax NG content completion is a little behind compared with the support for XML Schemas and even DTDs. We plan to improve it in the future.
All what I have said applies to W3C XML Schema. I only noticed that with an Relax NG schema even fewer things work. For instance, plain enumerations work with W3C Schema but not Relax NG. List enumerations (a list type) does not work with both. To make this more clear: the corresponding type not leading to completion in W3C Schema reads (in my other post, I used Relax NG notation for brevity only):
--

Code: Select all

<xs:simpleType name="colors">
<xs:restriction>
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:list>
<xs:union memberTypes="xs:nonNegativeInteger">
<xs:restriction base="xs:token">
<xs:enumeration value="black"/>
</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>
<xs:restriction base="xs:token">
<xs:enumeration value="white"/>
</xs:union>
</xs:list>
<xs:minLength value="1"/>
--
which is identical to, in Lelax NG compact notation:
--
[/code]
colors = list { ( xsd:nonNegativeInteger | "black" | "white" )+ }

Code: Select all

--
XML Spy would support xs:simpleType colors by allowing to enter a sequence of integers and tokens 'black, 'white, where choosing from the drop-down list in XML Spy appends the value (because it is a list).

oXygen just gives up in this case. It should really try harder to be useful.

regards,
Falk

P.S.
I registered to be able to post replies. However, I am not a registered user. I really would like to become one -- but only if it beats XML Spy's lousy Schema support (what is what I am using now).
falk

Post by falk »

Since we are at the issue where oxygen lacks W3C Schema editing support where other editors do have a support for it...

A schema with IDREF and ID types means, that when I enter a value for an IDREF type, I may expect a drop-down list with all current values for an ID type in the document. XML Spy, for instance, supports this obvious feature. oxygen does not. This is more a bug than a missing feature.

I really would like to understand how oxygen positions against other XML editors. How shall it compete with such big holes? Is it just for syntax highlighting in Eclipse (I do not use Eclipse)? Please explain why You made oxygen in the first place.

Do not get me wrong ... oxygen looks promising with a focus on EDITING what other tools have lost. This is great. But a editor needs competitive editing support for schemas to have a chance to compete...

Regards,
Falk
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Falk,

Thank you for providing more details.
Oxygen has some features that other editors do not have wrt schema driven editing. One is for instance the ability to offer the elements that inserted in that position keep the document valid. Also Oxygen is able to handle cases like substitution groups or cases when the actual element type is specified with the xsi:type attribute. From what I tested other editors do not handle for instance the IPO sample where one can specify the address type as UKAddress or USAddress. Another case is that oXygen is able to handle not wellformed documents even if the errors appear before the insertion point.

Sure there is place for improvement as you noted. I added a bugzilla entry with your post and we will solve these missing features in future oXygen releases.

Best Regards,
George
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Falk,

Both union and list types will be handled in the next oXygen release. Thanks for bringing this up!

Best Regards,
George
falk

Post by falk »

George,

thanks for all the information. I will certainly keep oxygen on my list. Keep up the great work.

Falk

P.S.
Altova just asked a fortune for an update from version "2004r3" to "2004r4" and refused discussing this with me. I am looking forward to switch horses with your forthcoming release :wink:
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Falk,

One other feature related with content completion that I forgot to mention in my previous post and that is unique to oXygen is the possibility to display the associated schema annotation documentation for the presented elements and attributes (similar with how a Java editor shows the javadoc documentation related with a method on content completion).

Best Regards,
George