Memory problems with 12.1

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
martindholmes

Memory problems with 12.1

Post by martindholmes »

Since upgrading to 12.1, I've had numerous crashes with out-of-memory errors, and lots of freezes as well, doing XSLT transformations that worked fine under the last version. I keep increasing the memory allocation in the oxygen.vmoptions file, but it doesn't seem to help. Have there been any changes with regard to memory handling in 12.1 that might account for this?

(I'm using Ubuntu Lucid 64-bit.)
martindholmes

Re: Memory problems with 12.1

Post by martindholmes »

Related to this, I have one fervent request: oXygen seems to save its current state (which project and files are open) only when it shuts down, and particularly only on a clean shutdown. That means that whenever it crashes, it forgets what project and files I have open, and also seems to lose any changes to things such as the transformation scenario list that I've made during the session. Could it please record those things as they happen, so that when it crashes, and I restart it, I get back to where I started? Every time I have a crash, I have to reload the same project and files as I was just working with.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

We've discussed this over email but I'm posting this here in case other people encounter such problems(numerous crashes with out-of-memory errors).

Check if the BIDI(bidirectional) editing mode(allows right-to-left writing) is triggered for your XML files.

Go to main menu: Window -> Show View -> Properties and in the Properties view look at the "BIDI" property value. You can check this for several XML documents by simply switching the current editor or opening a new document, you'll have to wait for 1-2 seconds for the Properties view to get refreshed.

If the BIDI property is "true" and you are not actively using right-to-left writing you may want to disable BIDI altogether. Go to Options -> Preferences -> Editor -> Open/Save and clear the option Enable bidirectional support. Restart Oxygen or close and reopen all editors.

So far BIDI seems to be triggered by some Unicode combining characters (U+0331) and (U+0332). We are still investigating this problem and looking for possible solutions.

Regarding your other request, I'll add it to our issue tracking tool.
Though I'll have to mention that not reopening the previously open files is a means of protection in case the application crashed when opening one of these files. So this particular point of your request will be debated and will only be addressed if found appropriate.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

I believe I am experiencing this problem, however, I am confused by the "workaround".

1) Window -> Show View -> Properties and in the Properties view look at the "BIDI" property value.

I do not see a BIDI property listed anywhere, so I cannot determine if it is 1 or any other value.

2) Options -> Preferences -> Editor -> Open/Save and clear the option Enable bidirectional support.

I don't see an Enable bidirectional support option to clear.

This is awfully frustrating. I have lost several hours of work time with this issue and it is currently blocking me from completing my already overdue project.

1) Please fix this bug.
2) Please provide me more info on the workaround as I cannot follow the directions as they are given.

thanks
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello tinjaw,

Note that out-of-memory errors aren't necessarily related to BIDI. Write to our support email address support@oxygenxml.com or use the Report problem dialog(Help -> Report problem) in Oxygen to signal a problem.

What version of Oxygen are you running(Help -> About)?
The instructions are for Oxygen 12.x(12.0, 12.1, etc). If you can't find the "Enable bidirectional support" option then you are clearly not running v12.

1. In version 11.2(build 2010090711) to see the Properties view you need to go to Perspective -> Show View -> Properties.
2. The equivalent option for disabling the BIDI support in 11.2 is Options -> Preferences -> Editor -> Open/Save, Characters limit for bidirectional text documents set to "0"(only available in build 2010090711).

You cannot disable the BIDI support in 11.1 and older versions of Oxygen.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

I was running Eclipse 3.6 with Oxygen 12.1 when I wrote my reply. Today I upgraded to 12.2. I still do not see what you say I should see. I have recorded a screencast of me looking for BIDI. What am I doing wrong?

http://www.screencast.com/t/kuoB3yz0xQ
adrian

Post by adrian »

tinjaw,

My previous instructions do not apply to the Eclipse plugin, only to the standalone Oxygen application.

Considering your problem happens in the Eclipse plugin I believe that this is in no way related to the BIDI issue that is triggered in the standalone application.

If you're getting out of memory errors, make sure Eclipse has enough memory to run. Edit the eclipse.ini file from the Eclipse folder and modify the -Xmx parameter to -Xmx768m or a larger value(keep it below 1200m if it's running a 32-bit JRE).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

My issue is freezing up, not memory errors. I was hoping the BIDI issue was the cause as I can't find one. When I am doing XSLT debugging in Oxygen, Eclipse will freeze up and I need to kill the process.

I will attempt to narrow down the problem and put in a support request.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this issue.
adrian

Post by adrian »

tinjaw,

Frezees can also be caused by lack of memory. Make sure you're running Eclipse with enough memory(at least 768MB if you're using large files).

Go to Window -> Preferences -> General and enable the "Show heap status" option. This will allow you to keep an eye on the heap memory use in Eclipse(bottom right corner).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza