File Format Conversion

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
spryspectre

File Format Conversion

Post by spryspectre »

An option to convert a document from a given file encoding to another would be extremely handy. I want to be able to open a document which is stored on disk as an iso-8859 encoding, and save it in a utf-8 encoding.

Or possibly, auto-sense the save format if the <?xml encoding="utf-8"?> attribute is present...
sorin_ristache

Re: File Format Conversion

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Oxygen saves the document in the encoding that is specified at the start. For example:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
If your document specifies encoding="ISO-8859-3" Oxygen reads it in the ISO-8859-3 encoding and if you edit the document in Oxygen and change the declaration to encoding="UTF-8" Oxygen saves it in the UTF-8 encoding.

Regards,
Sorin
jpmoularde

Post by jpmoularde »

Apparently, the only possibility to change file encoding resides in the "Encoding of non XML document" feature.
I had some month ago to produce a "plain document" in UTF-8, and I set up that parameter to UTF-8.
A few week later I had to make change in a php file: the result was that the file was automatically encoded in UTF-8.
I tested the file and everything was apparently OK.
A month later a user complained about a bug in the php application. It took me several hours to realize that it was a side effect of the change of encoding.
Would it be feasible to add the following feature;
attach an encoding method to every type of file, base on the extension?
Thanks
iulian_velea

Post by iulian_velea »

Hello,

This is an interesting request and I added an entry related to it on our issue tracker.
We will let you know about its resolution.

Thank you,
Iulian.
jpmoularde

Post by jpmoularde »

iulian_velea wrote:This is an interesting request and I added an entry related to it on our issue tracker.
We will let you know about its resolution.
Julian
Your answer dates about one year ago, and I have not seen any news about this topic. Is there a solution that I'm not aware of?
Alternatively (or in addition to) that solution, would it be possible to include in the configuration parameter that a new type of file has to be supported as UTF-8 encoded?
Kind regards
JP
jpmoularde

Post by jpmoularde »

Please ignore this paragraph in my previous post which doesn't make sense!
jpmoularde wrote:Alternatively (or in addition to) that solution, would it be possible to include in the configuration parameter that a new type of file has to be supported as UTF-8 encoded?
JP
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Right now this feature is scheduled for v13. But I can't guarantee it won't be pushed back.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com