Stop message box taking focus on automatic save of bad XML

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
csalsa

Stop message box taking focus on automatic save of bad XML

Post by csalsa »

Assume I am editing a file and I have set the automatic backup in the Preferences. If the file is invalid, eg have not closed an element tag and so the document is not XML valid, then a message box pops up saying the file cannot be saved. No problem so far.

However, the message box takes focus away from other Windows and I find this very annoying. Please stop the message box taking focus from other windows.
csalsa

Re: Stop message box taking focus on automatic save of bad XML

Post by csalsa »

After posting, I realised the reason for the dialog is because the file was marked 'read-only'. On making the file readable, the message box does not appear.

Though I found the message box taking focus annoying, I do not think it is a fault. I do not think this requires a change anymore.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Yes, I agree that the error dialog should take the focus of the application. It does not take the focus of other windows (applications) on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista or on non Windows operating systems. It takes only the focus of the current application. It does that to require closing the dialog for continuing to work with the application. It is a way to make sure that the user knows about the error.

Regards,
Sorin
csalsa

Post by csalsa »

sorin wrote:Hello,

Yes, I agree that the error dialog should take the focus of the application. It does not take the focus of other windows (applications) on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista or on non Windows operating systems. It takes only the focus of the current application. It does that to require closing the dialog for continuing to work with the application. It is a way to make sure that the user knows about the error.

Regards,
Sorin
Sorry. But I differ. I am using Windows XP (fully patched) and I have seen this problem when OxygenXML fails to automatically save a file because the filesystem file is read-only.

I set the automatic save interval to 1min and then opened a file. The files are read-only as SourceSafe gets file to the drive read-only. The first failure did operate as you stated above. However, I then went to OxygenXML and cleared the dialog and then back to my browser to read other forum posts. OxygenXML then started to take focus when the failed save dialog pops-up - even in the middle of typing this post.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I tried to reproduce that but on my Windows XP computer the error dialog displayed by the auto-save that fails in Oxygen does not switch the focus from my current application to Oxygen. Probably it is a Windows setting on your Windows XP computer that allows an application to steal the focus from another application.

Regards,
Sorin