Long delay opening xml/dita files in Eclipse

Oxygen general issues.
solomono

Long delay opening xml/dita files in Eclipse

Post by solomono »

Hi All
I am using the oxygen 9.0 plugin in eclipse 3.4 M4 . When I attempt to open
the oxygen xml editor on an xml file (mostly dita) there is a long delay with the message
creating file buffer in the status bar. this delay is up to 30 seconds or more
Can someone tell me the remedy. May this be related to attempting to get the
dtd from the internet.
Does oxygen not use an internal catalog to get the dtd locally
Thanks
Solomon
sorin_ristache

Re: Long delay opening xml/dita files in Eclipse

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Starting with version 9.0 Oxygen comes with predefined document types and that includes DITA topics. For the predefined document types the schema and DTD references are resolved through an XML catalog to a local copy of the schemas/DTDs. I think the delay is not caused by the Oxygen plugin trying to load the DTD from a remote server.

Please use any Oxygen plugin version earlier than 9.3 with Eclipse 3.3, not with Eclipse 3.4 because Eclipse 3.4 introduced API changes to which the Oxygen plugin could adapt only with the version that followed the Eclipse 3.4 API freeze, that is Oxygen version 9.3. This is stated on the Download page and in the User Manual.

Instead of version 9.0 I think it is better to use the latest version, that is version 9.3 which has more features and has more bug fixes than version 9.0 and which works with the same license key as version 9.0. Do you get the same delay with the Oxygen plugin version 9.3?

Regards,
Sorin