Error message: "cannot open git-upload-pack"

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
davidfarbey

Error message: "cannot open git-upload-pack"

Post by davidfarbey »

I am trying to link an Oxygen XML (v25.0) DITA project to a new repository on GitLab.
When I enter details in the Clone Repository dialog, I get an error message: "cannot open git-upload-pack". Can anyone explain what this means and how to resolve it?
I realise I may not have set things up properly, so I'd welcome some pointers on the right step-by-step process.
Many thanks
David
alex_jitianu

Re: Error message: "cannot open git-upload-pack"

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello,

The repository URL might not be correct. For example, I get put an invalid URL like this, http://github/com, I get a similar message. Please check if the repository URL is correct. If it is, perhaps you are behind a proxy which is not configured inside Oxygen. You can also start Oxygen using the command line launcher, for example oxygen.bat, reproduce the error then have a look inside the console for extra details. If you see such details, please send them to us to support@oxugenxml.com . If none of the above work, let's enable logging like this:

1. Unzip the logback.xml file from within the attached
logback.zip
(709 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times
in the lib folder from the application installation directory.
2. Restart the application.
3. Reproduce the problem.
4. Close the application.
5. Delete the logback.xml file because it might cause performance issues if you leave it in the lib folder.

The resulting log files are named oxygen.log and oxygen#.log.qz (for example, oxygen.log, oxygen1.log.gz, oxygen2.log.gz, etc.) and are located in the Desktop\oxygenLog folder.

Best regards,
Alex
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Alex,

Should this behavior be applied here?

#151: Issue a friendlier error if the Git server is not accessible
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hi Chris,

Yes, after your initial report we improved the message detection. We indent to investigate this particular case and see why we present the generic message instead of a more useful one.

Best regards,
Alex
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

Hi,

I get the same error message when working with our own, local Git server (SCM Manager on Windows server). Everything works fine with repos on GitHub.

Best regards,
Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

As a workaround, under Network Connection Settings we activated the option for HTTPS "Automatically accept a security certificate, even if invalid".
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hi Frank,
Thank you for sharing! Do you get this error whenever you perform a particular git operation, like Pull, or it doesn't really matter.
Alex
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

Hi Alex,

I get the error as soon as I add a local Git repo. The server certificate is the same as on our public website (https://www.parson-europe.com/en).

I suspect it has to do with the storage of the certificate. As far as I know, it is stored in the Windows Certificate Store which some Git clients don't understand out of the box. I remember getting the following error message: "SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate". This can be fixed by running the following Git command:

Code: Select all

$ git config --global http.sslbackend schannel
Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com