Navigation arrows don't show

Having trouble installing Oxygen XML WebHelp? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
ahiggins

Navigation arrows don't show

Post by ahiggins »

Hi,
I set the following parameters:
<parameter name="webhelp.show.navigation.links" value="yes"/>
<parameter name="webhelp.default.collection.type.sequence" value="yes"/>

But the navigation arrows still aren't showing in the webhelp output. Are there other factors that affect the navigation links?

Thanks,
Amy
Costin

Re: Navigation arrows don't show

Post by Costin »

Hi Amy,

What specific product are you using (are you using Oxygen XML WebHelp plugin, or Editor/Author and run the WebHelp transformation from the GUI product) and which specific version?
Also, could you let us know exactly how / where did you try to set the parameters?

There is a dedicated topic in our User-Guide, that provides guidance on how to show or hide the navigation links in the resulted WebHelp documentation, so you could take a look at it.

Of course, for the navigation links to appear in a specific topic, that specific topic should also have previous / next topics in your DITA Map files hierarchy.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
ahiggins

Post by ahiggins »

Hi Costin,
I'm using the Oxygen XML WebHelp plugin v24.1 (with Oxygen XML Editor v24.1) and DITA-OT-3.7 to genereate webhelp output.
I created a custom publishing template, and all of the other parameters I set in it work.
I use a 'master' ditamap to publish content, which contains references to our 'main' ditamaps using the <mapref> element. The 'main' ditamaps also contain references to other ditamaps. I wonder if the layers of ditamaps are causing the navigation link issue.

I tried to mimic the layout of the publication TOC for a 'master' ditamap below. It would be nice to use the arrows to at least navigate from topic to topic in a chapter. And in this example, even topic 1.1.1>subtopic 1.1.1.1>subtopic 1.1.1.2>topic 1.1.2>topic 1.1.3

Code: Select all

Publication TOC:
book 1
   chapter 1.1
	topic 1.1.1
	   subtopic 1.1.1.1
	   subtopic 1.1.1.2
	topic 1.1.2
	topic 1.1.3
   chapter 1.2
	topic 1.2.1
book 2
   chapter 2.1
	topic 2.1.1
	topic 2.1.2
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hello ahiggins,

I created a testcase to explore your topic hierarchy:

webhelp_prev_next_experiment.zip
(15.69 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

To run it, open the project.xml file, then run the "All deliverables" transformation using the Apply Transformation Scenario button in the toolbar.

Using Oxygen v24.1, I was able to walk through the entire help collection using only the "Next" button, from the beginning of Book1 to the end of Book 2. Are you able to reproduce this?

If so, then perhaps you can progressively reduce the differences between my testcase and yours to figure out what is affecting the navigation in your testcase.

Note that by default, the left-side TOC shows only the current top-level book (although that does not seem to stop "Prev"/"Next" from crossing book boundaries). If you want the TOC to show all top-level books, you can set the webhelp.publication.toc.links parameter to all.
ahiggins

Post by ahiggins »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your help. After comparing your sample with my ditamap, I realized there were attributes working against navigation link generation. Specifically, setting the attributes linking="none" and toc="yes" was causing the issue. Now the output looks good.