"Problems" window stealing focus in Eclipse 3.3

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
cjenkins

"Problems" window stealing focus in Eclipse 3.3

Post by cjenkins »

I am using Eclipse 3.3 and oXygen 8.2 under Linux, and find when I am editing an XSL file with the editor window maximized (under the oXygen XML perspective) if I pause in the middle of an element for more than a second the "Problems" window pops up with an error, stealing focus from the editor. I don't mind the realtime syntax checking (in fact I like it) if it didn't keep popping that window up and stealing focus.

I've never had any problems using the standalone version (8.1 or 8.2) and this is my first attempt at using the eclipse plugin, although co-workers (using earlier versions of eclipse on windows) assured me that does not happen on theirs.

-Thanks!
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I cannot reproduce the problem. I tried on a SUSE Linux with the oXygen plugin build number 2007062505 in Eclipse 3.3 build number I20070625-1500. What is your window manager?

Regards,
Sorin
kingargyle

Post by kingargyle »

I'm experiencing the same issue under Eclipse 3.3 and Oxygen 8.2, under Windows. It is most noticeable when the Editor is maximized, and there are errors in what ever you are editing. I've experience it in the XML, WSDL, XQuery, and XSL editors.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

I can reproduce it too with the editor maximized. It seems to be a bug in the Eclipse 3.3 platform. In previous versions of Eclipse the focus does not go to the Problems view when a marker is added to this view. We will see if we can find a workaround. You can avoid the problem by disabling "Validate as you type" in Window -> Preferences -> oXygen -> Editor -> Document Checking.

Regards,
Sorin
cjenkins

Post by cjenkins »

Ok, I was coming back to answer your original question (I was running under KDE (kwm) but wanted to test to make sure it wasn't that so switched over to Gnome with the same result) when I saw your reply below.

I had found turning the delay up to 5 seconds allowed me to keep the validation but gave me enough time to keep everything valid.. but was still pretty annoying. For now I think I will stick to standalone since I use IntelliJ primarily anyway.

Thanks!
- Chris
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

We fixed the problem. With the new build of the oXygen 8.2 plugin for Eclipse 3.3 the focus remains in the editor.

Regards,
Sorin
cjenkins

Post by cjenkins »

Great, I'll give it a shot right now. Thanks for the quick response!
kingargyle

Post by kingargyle »

I might suggest changing the version numbers of the eclipse plugins so that users can more easily upgrade to the latest version if they already had a prior eclipse 3.3.version installed. In order to get the new version installed I had to manually delete the existing plugin information, and then re-download through the update site.
jokester01au

Probldms with xslt + eclipse 3.3

Post by jokester01au »

It sounds like I may have a similar problem. I have found that I cannot open an XSLT editor using oxygen 8.2 and eclipse 3.3, in either linux or windows. I get an SWT error, and the error log contains the attached exception. If I open the same file using an XML editor I have no problems.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2007-07-31 10:42:25.621
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Cannot initialize Drop
at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DND.error(DND.java:247)
at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DND.error(DND.java:208)
at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DropTarget.<init>(DropTarget.java:153)
at com.oxygenxml.editor.editors.xsl.XSLEditor.createPartControl(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:190)
at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.addPage(MultiPageEditorPart.java:160)
at com.oxygenxml.editor.editors.xml.h.ཥ(Unknown Source)
at com.oxygenxml.editor.editors.xml.h.createPages(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.createPartControl(MultiPageEditorPart.java:283)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:661)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:426)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:592)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.getEditor(EditorReference.java:263)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2721)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2633)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$12(WorkbenchPage.java:2625)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$10.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2577)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2572)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2556)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2547)
at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:644)
at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:603)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:285)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:138)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:194)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:175)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:268)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:244)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerActionGroup.handleOpen(PackageExplorerActionGroup.java:316)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart$5.open(PackageExplorerPart.java:613)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:820)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:857)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:46)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:193)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:818)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1183)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:263)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:257)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:297)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1101)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3319)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2971)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2389)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2353)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:153)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:443)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1169)
sorin_ristache

Re: Probldms with xslt + eclipse 3.3

Post by sorin_ristache »

jokester01au wrote:It sounds like I may have a similar problem. I have found that I cannot open an XSLT editor using oxygen 8.2 and eclipse 3.3, in either linux or windows. I get an SWT error, and the error log contains the attached exception. If I open the same file using an XML editor I have no problems.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2007-07-31 10:42:25.621
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Cannot initialize Drop
at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DND.error(DND.java:247)
at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DND.error(DND.java:208)
at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DropTarget.<init>(DropTarget.java:153)
at com.oxygenxml.editor.editors.xsl.XSLEditor.createPartControl(Unknown Source)
It is a totally different problem. You are running the oXygen 8.2 plugin for Eclipse 3.2 in Eclipse 3.3. Both distributions are available on the Download page but they have different install links. Please install the plugin for Eclipse 3.3 in Eclipse 3.3.

Regards,
Sorin
jokester01au

Post by jokester01au »

they have different install links.
Yes, I noticed that. I looked at the 3.3 link and (incorrectly) concluded that the update manifest for both eclipse 3.2 and eclipse 3.3 had oxygen version 8.2.0 and that therefore I already had the right version.

Maybe it would be good for oxygen to inform me that it may not work correctly with this version of eclipse.

NB I don't want it to refuse to run, since I have been using oxygen quite happily with the stable releases of eclipse for several years.

NB2 This message also needs to be relatively unobtrusive. If it popped up a dialog box every time eclipse is started that would quickly get annoying. Perhaps a less obtrusive method would be to display a red message in the status bar each time an XML/XSD/... file is opened.

Regards,
Joe.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Thank you for the suggestion. We will try to detect if the oXygen plugin is installed in an incompatible version of Eclipse and notify the user about it.

Thank you,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Re:

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
jokester01au wrote:Maybe it would be good for oxygen to inform me that it may not work correctly with this version of eclipse.

NB2 This message also needs to be relatively unobtrusive. If it popped up a dialog box every time eclipse is started that would quickly get annoying
Now the Eclipse plugin checks the Eclipse version at plugin initialization. The first time when it is initialized by an Eclipse version for which it was not targeted the Oxygen plugin displays a warning message about that.

Regards,
Sorin