MathML rendering for PDF

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
BB_[A]

MathML rendering for PDF

Post by BB_[A] »

Greetings,

We are working with a client to migrate their PDF plugin (based on the demo plugin from 1.5.2) to DITA-OT 3.6. They have some pretty complex equations, so we’re not sure that Antenna House MathML support is sufficient. Any recommendations for rendering complex MathML equations in PDF transforms?

Thanks,
Bill Burns
bb@simplea.com
512-646-2100
--
We are [A]
simplea.com
Bill Burns
bb@simplea.com
512-646-2100
--
We are [A]
simplea.com
julien_lacour

Re: MathML rendering for PDF

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello Bill,

If you use Antenna House for creating your PDF outputs you should ask their support team which MathML library they are using.

If you want to use Oxygen PDF Chemistry, within the DITA Map PDF - based on HTML5 & CSS transformation, MathML equations will be rendered using JEuclid library.

We plan to change this library to MathJax in a future release, if this is the library you want for equation rendering, I can add your vote into our feature request.

Regards,
Julien
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Julien - you already have our vote for MathJax. :)
jhanna

Post by jhanna »

You can add my vote for MathJax too!

Jonathan
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello Jonathan,

I added your vote to the feature request :D

Julien
catterall

Post by catterall »

I'd go for mathjax as well
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello,

I also added your vote to the feature request.

Julien
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

If PDF Chemistry does end up developing some piece of MathJax MathML-to-SVG machinery, it would nice to have the option to enable it in HTML5 and WebHelp transformations as well. This could help ensure consistent equation rendering for cases where HTML-like content is "baked" into a product's standalone installation image.
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hi Chris,

In fact, WebHelp Responsive output already process MathML equations using MathJax library. But depending on the conclusions of the issue related to MathJax support in Chemistry, a modification in WebHelp Responsive output (or even in all HTML5 outputs) can be considered.

I will indicate here the conclusion of the analysis and if outputs other than PDFs are impacted.

Regards,
Julien
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Thanks Julien!

To clarify my thought, it would be interesting to have a WebHelp parameter like webhelp.mathml.to.svg to convert MathML to SVG images at transformation time, instead of relying on MathJax to do dynamic rendering at viewing time. It could be useful in some situations (increasing page load performance, embedding custom fonts, supporting simple/limited HTML renderers in embedded environments, etc.).
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hi Chris,

I added a feature request to study the possibility to convert MathML into SVG using MathJax library in WebHelp Responsive output.
I will post again here where the feature will be available.

Regards,
Julien
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Julien,

Is there any news on rendering MathML to SVG image files at publishing time for HTML-based transformations?

This is a requirement for the new project I am working on. We are using the html5 transformation in Oxygen Publishing Engine to publish DITA content for use by a large language model (LLM) AI chatbot. If you have something under development and you would like testing, I happily volunteer!

I filed a request for this feature here:

Convert MathML/LaTeX equations to SVG files during HTML transformations