Trim and registration marks

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
amjb71

Trim and registration marks

Post by amjb71 »

I have been looking in to getting trim and registration marks on my PDF, with not much success i.e

<?xep-pdf-crop-offset 10mm?>
<?xep-pdf-crop-mark-width 0.2mm?>
<?xep-pdf-bleed 2mm?>
<?xep-pdf-bleed-mark-width 0.2mm?>
<?xep-pdf-pdf-x Sets PDX/X-3?>

But nothing is shown apart from the 10mm border? can anyone help oe point me to a working example?

Many thanks
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

The transformation pipeline must include a XEP specific step: add the XEP processing instructions to the XSL-FO file and apply XEP on the result XSL-FO to get the final PDF result with registration marks. In oXygen you can create an external tool in Options -> Preferences -> XML -> XSLT/FO/XQuery -> FO Processors and use it in the transformation scenario as the FO processor. You have to insert the processing instructions with the stylesheet which performs the XML -> XSL-FO step so that the complete XML -> PDF transformation is done in with a single user action (in the same transformation scenario).

Regards,
Sorin
amjb71

Lost, sorry

Post by amjb71 »

Hi and thanks for the reply, but I am new to this and a little lost with the instructions, I have my working XML to PDF working with XEP, so to add registration marks I need a external tool, is this added to the XEP.xml file? and then on my XSL file?

Sorry if I am getting this wrong, and thanks for any help.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

If you have the scenario already set for transformation from XML to PDF using XEP then you just need to modify the XSLT stylesheet which generates the XSL-FO file so that the XSL-FO file contains your processing instructions (xep-pdf-crop-offset, xep-pdf-crop-mark-width, etc) specific for XEP.

Regards,
Sorin
amjb71

Post by amjb71 »

Hi, and thanks again,

I use this at the top of my .fo page:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?xep-pdf-crop-offset 10mm?>
<?xep-pdf-crop-mark-width 0.2mm?>
<?xep-pdf-bleed 2mm?>
<?xep-pdf-bleed-mark-width 0.2mm?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns:rx="http://www.renderx.com/XSL/Extensions" xml:lang="en">

My PDF looks fine, but no crop marks, and acrobat 7 has an error:

An unrecognized token 'Page' was found

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I added your XEP processing instructions to the XSL-FO file corresponding to a small sample Docbook XML file and the crop marks were added to the PDF result generated by XEP. Also I got no error when Acrobar Reader opened it. You can check to see if adding the processing instructions to the XSL-FO file generated for [oXygen-install-folder]/samples/docbook/sample.xml produces the desired effects in the PDF result. If the result is OK then I think XEP has a problem when processing your file and the XEP team can provide more help.

Regards,
Sorin
amjb71

Think I have found a problem

Post by amjb71 »

Hi Again,

Well I put XEP on my PC and it all worked just fine, no problems with errors and crop and bleed marks were there, so there may be a problem with XEP on OSX 10.4.7?

Not sure who to tell?
amjb71

Post by amjb71 »

Right found out what it was if its of help to anyone in the future, it was me being stupid, I had this in my XEP.xml file

<option name="ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY" value="True"/>

for web only PDFs :oops:

Again thanks Sorin for all your help!!