performance problems in spite of java -Xmx512m

Having trouble installing <oXygen/>? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
muewi
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 am

performance problems in spite of java -Xmx512m

Post by muewi » Wed May 24, 2006 11:30 am

Hi,

I'm experiencing performance problems with oXygen 7.1 on Suse Linux 10.0 with 1 GB Memory, Athlon XP 2200+.
The biggest file in the project has about 17400 lines (1,1 Mb), others bigger ones have 5000 and 3000 lines.
I've already made 512 mb available to oxygen with the setting in oxygen.sh (obviously resulting in making OpenOffice use 50% of the CPU).
There is one thing I don't understand: I've downloaded the Linux version, and not the general one; so I expected to find a file Oxygen.lax, but there was none.
The low performance is quite annoying during refactoring operations like 'surrounding' (?) (umgeben). It takes sometimes more than a second until I get the dialog field.

Regards,
Frank

sorin_ristache
Posts: 4144
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:12 pm

Post by sorin_ristache » Wed May 24, 2006 12:31 pm

Hello,

The Linux installer does not create the file Oxygen.lax anymore. The parameter -Xmx is specified in the command which starts the Java virtual machine at the end of the file oxygen7.1 (for version 7.1) located in the <oXygen/> install directory. We modified the User Manual about this change and the modification will be available in the manual opened from menu Help -> Help starting with version 7.2. Also we will update the manual on the website.

Is the performance low only for the refactoring operations ? If not what are the other operations that are slow ? Do other applications run in background at the same time and take the CPU ? If there are no such background applications and the performance is low in general, including simple actions like scrolling the editor panel or browsing the document with the page up and page down keys you should check that text antialiasing is disabled in Options -> Preferences -> Fonts.

Regards,
Sorin

muewi
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 am

Post by muewi » Wed May 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi Sorin,

thanks for your answer.

anti-aliasing was not activated.
Formating and indenting has also become slower and slower. Now it takes a few seconds. There is no problem with scrolling.
How fast the refactoring operations are, sometimes seems to depend on where in the document they are applied. The more nested and complex the structures, the longer it seems to take. This seems of course to be logical, but I just didn't expect performance to degrade so much with a file a bit larger than 1 MB. There also also XML Schema connected to the XML-files with a lot of <annotation><documentation> ... etc.

So maybe I have to split up the files? Do you think that would help? Are there guidelines how to organize files to keep the performance bearable?

Regards,
Frank

muewi
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 am

Post by muewi » Wed May 24, 2006 1:17 pm

sorry, I forgot to say that even without other applications running (like openoffice), it is still slow.

sorin_ristache
Posts: 4144
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:12 pm

Post by sorin_ristache » Wed May 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Hello,

The operations should not be so slow on files of 1 MB or a couple of MB. We test <oXygen/> on larger files and the operations do not become slower after some time of running <oXygen/>. If your computer is a laptop which runs on batteries please try the fix described here. If not and if you can reproduce the low performance please specify a sequence of steps and send one or more files to support at oxygenxml dot com for reproducing the problem.

Regards,
Sorin

Post Reply