Wrapping invalid XML bug

Oxygen general issues.
dberkowicz

Wrapping invalid XML bug

Post by dberkowicz »

I have a very very long xml string with some invalid symbols
(e.g.: <tag> text 2 < 3 text</tag>

The editor shows the xml as one long string and will not 'pretty print' the text. This means that finding the offending character(s) is extremely difficult. I tried to enable 'wrapping' but this caused the application to hang.
I also enabled 'validate as you type' and then tried to correct the text by stepping through each error, unfortunately the xml string is so long that this method was virtually impossible to use.

I run Oxygen on a dual G5 @2.0 GHz and I have 4.5 GB of Ram.

Any suggestions?

David.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

The character '<' inserted in text nodes make your document not well-formed. The "Check document form" action / the "Validate document" action / the "Validate as you type" feature lists all the errors of your document in the Errros view / on the right side bar of the editor panel. For every error the location the location is also specified in the format row:column. Clicking on a line in the Errors view selects the text line with that error in the main editor panel. The selection ends at the column of the error so if the text line of your document is very long you have to scroll horizontally to the end of the selection to locate the invalid symbol and edit it. An alternative is to press Ctrl + L or go to menu Find -> Go to and in the Go to dialog enter the row and column listed in the Errors view and press OK so that <oXygen/> places the caret at the error location. After the well-formedness errors are removed execute the "Format and indent" action on the Document toolbar/in the Document -> XML Document menu or press Ctrl + Shift + P (the default shortcut) to pretty-print the document. This will break the long lines and make the document easy to edit.

Regards,
Sorin