Auto-completion annoyance (v7)

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Christian Roth

Auto-completion annoyance (v7)

Post by Christian Roth »

Hi,

the obviously changed handling for code completion (compared to v6) currently consistently drives me crazy, I'm sorry to say. Maybe it's all just a matter of settings, so here are some examples:

EXAMPLE 1
Suppose we have the following document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="2.0">

<xsl:template match="a">
<xsl:apply|
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

with '|' indicating the current cursor position. I want to write an <xsl:apply-templates />, which is quite common in template bodies.

However, with Tag-insight ON, as soon as I type the next character, '-', oXygen completes this to <xsl:apply-imports></xsl:apply-imports> which is virtually never what I want.

With Tag-insight OFF, typing Ctrl-Space to open the menu then typing '-', the same completion happens.

EXAMPLE 2
With Tag-insight ON, assume I want to add a literal result element. So I write:

<elem attr="{|"

(Again, | indicates current cursor position.)

In this situation, I want to fill the AVT by using the expression @xattr. However, oXygen will not let me type the '@' character in this state, unless I explicitly close the completion suggestion dropdown (which automatically oppped up after typing the opening brace) using the ESC key.

How can I configure oXygen to not auto-complete text when there's more than precisely one possible choice to continue, and to keep typing on even when the dropdown is already open?

I'm running on Mac OS X 10.4.4.

Thanks, Christian.
tavy

Post by tavy »

Dear Christian,

We couldn't reproduce the problems that you described. Please send us more information about your java version and if you are using the eclipse plugin or the standalone version of <oXygen/>. It will be helpful if you contact us by email at support at oxygenxml dot com and send us the files you are using and the current options files.
For the first example the code completion window should stay open if you type '-' character and 'xsl:apply-imports' element should be selected because it appears before 'xsl:apply-templates' element in the alphabetically sorted code completion list.
For the second example the code completion window should stay open until you type '}' or '"' character and should be no problems in typing any characters even if it stays open.

Best Regards,
Octavian
Mircea

Post by Mircea »

Hi Christian,

The problem was identified and fixed in the current development snapshot and will be available in the next release.

In the log file you sent us we discovered that the key event was not properly handled because of the German keyboard layout:

java.awt.event.KeyEvent[KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=47,keyText=Slash,keyChar='-',keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_STANDARD]

You can see that even if the keyChar is correct ('-'), the keyText is 'Slash' and the keyCode is 47 which also corresponds to the '/' character.

Best regards,
Mircea.