Font in Console

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
ckabstein

Font in Console

Post by ckabstein »

Hello,

We are having issues with the console output font in XML Editor. Whe we create outputs in Japanese, and there are transformation errors, the error messages look, for example, like this:

Code: Select all

E [DITA-OT] [PDFJ001E] The PDF indexing process could not find the proper sort location for '??????', so the term has been dropped from the index.
If I double-click the error message, only the main ditamap opens, and I cannot search for ??????. I am unable to fix the index issue.
Is there a way to change the font in the console?
Or is there an easy way to find the location of the error?

Thanks,
Christina
oXygen XML Editor 25.0 build 2023013006
DITA OT 3.7.3
Radu

Re: Font in Console

Post by Radu »

Hi Christina,

Changing in the Preferences->Appearance / Fonts the font for "Editor" should be the solution for this as the font used in the "Text" editing mode is the same one as the one in the results view.
If you still see those "?" after this, possibly the publishing process loses information about the original characters.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
ckabstein

Post by ckabstein »

Hi Radu,

Thanks for the information. That sounded so easy. Unfortunately, changing the font didn't help.
Where in the publishing process could the information get lost?

Rgds,
Christina
DITA OT 3.7.3
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Christina,

Not sure, if you put together a small DITA Map + topic project on which I can reproduce the situation, you can zip and send it to "support@oxygenxml.com" and we can take a look at it.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Christina,

Thanks for the samples, I think we can make some improvements to Oxygen in order to properly show the index term values so I added an internal issue on our side. I will update this forum thread when we fix this on our side.

In the meantime here's a workaround for you:

1) In the Oxygen Preferences->"Encoding" page set the "Fallback character encoding" to "UTF-8".

2) Edit (or duplicate and edit) the Oxygen transformation scenario you are using to produce the PDF.

2.1) In the "Advanced" tab in the Additional arguments field set a value like this: -l D:\path\to\log.txt meaning that ANT will log everything to a log file which will be located at that specified path.
2.2) In the same tab in the JVM Arguments field add an extra property -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 so that the value there looks something like:
-Xmx384m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

After this, you can start the transformation, ANT will no longer log in the console but you can open the "log.txt" at the end and search in it for "Index entry" and all the reports there should have the Japanese characters properly displayed.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
ckabstein

Post by ckabstein »

Hi Radu,

The workaround works fine. I think we can use it until there is another solution. Thank you very much.

Rgds,
Christina
DITA OT 3.7.3
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Christina,

We released Oxygen XML Editor version 20 which by default should properly render Japanese characters in the ANT console view.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
ckabstein

Post by ckabstein »

Hi Radu,

This is great news. Thanks for letting me know.

Rgds,
Christina
DITA OT 3.7.3