how to get "informational" messages during transform?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
steve_d

how to get "informational" messages during transform?

Post by steve_d »

Hi

I'm transforming DITA to XHTML, and the DITA file has a few errors that I'm expecting:
1) the file embeds an image, which is not local to my machine at build time
2) some elements use the 'otherprops' attribute, but I have not yet created a ditaval file to define those values

When I run the transform, the 'transformation pane' lists the issue for #1 but not #2

Presumably, a missing file counts as a WARNING severity level, while undetermined otherprops values are INFORMATIONAL?

Regardless, how do I get the transform log to include Informational messages?

thanks
Costin

Re: how to get "informational" messages during transform?

Post by Costin »

Hi Steve,

The transformation log shows the trasnformation related errors from DITA OT.
However, the "otherprops" is a metadata profiling attribute used for conditional processing so any warnings related to it are not shown in the log, as it is not related to the DITA OT transformation, but to the validation of the document.

Given this, the DITA validation engine in oXygen is able to notify you at validation time about the missing/undefined profiling attribute values.
For that, you should go into oXygen menu Options > Preferences > Editor > Edit Modes > Author > Profiling/Conditional Text, enable the option "Report invalid profiling attribute values" and apply the changes.

You will then notice that the undefined values for the "otherprops" attribute will be reported at document validation.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
steve_d

Post by steve_d »

Oh, I see - by selecting "Document > Validate > Validate" is see the 'bad' otherprops

I guess there is no way to get the transform to include validation errors, then?

Thanks for the reply
Costin

Post by Costin »

Steve,

I'm afraid that's not currently possible.
This is because the Transformation and Validation of the documents are two separate things handled by different engines in oXygen.

We have though an open improvement request in our internal improvement/issue tracking system, to automatically perform input (and maybe even output) validation before applying a transformation scenario over one/more documents.
So I have just added your vote for it and logged the feedback you provided so far.

This will be analyzed by or development team and you will be notified in case this gets implemented.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
steve_d

Post by steve_d »

Great. Thank you Costin