2-3 files larger than 1.5 meg breaks 6.2

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
neggen

2-3 files larger than 1.5 meg breaks 6.2

Post by neggen »

I am using Oxygen 6.2 to diff XML files. The files are about 1.5 mb each. When I open two of these files in the oxygen and diff them it uses 200+ mb of ram and maxes out the CPU. I'm loosing my productivity because this makes my system totally unstable. Recovery = restart :(

I read that large files can slow Oxygen down and clog it up, but it sounded like files in the 10-50 mb range that will bog it down. I think 2x 1.5 mb is completely reasonable to expect good performance.

Any ideas?

Specs: 2.8 P4 with 1 gig of ram
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

The amount of processing needed by the diff process may vary with the algorithm used for diff. If you are for instance using AUTO for determining the diff algorithm you are probably making the diff with the XML Fast algorithm. You can also try the other algorithms excluding the XML Accurate one that is only appropriate for files under 1K.
What we can do is to lower the priority of the diff thread so that other processes may get a change to use the processor and I will add this request to the Bugs List.

What you can do is give more memory to the diff process.
In the Oxygen User Manual (available in the Help Dialog) in the "Installation -> Performance Problems" chapter you can find ways in which Oxygen can be given more memory. Those steps can also be applied if you are running diff directly and not from Oxygen (in Windows this basically means modifying the diffFiles.ini file and incresing the maximum value from 180 to 256 or modifying the diffFiles.bat file in the same way).

Regards, Radu,